Repair boot sector on HDD in laptop.....

Discussion in 'Software' started by catsrdawg, Jul 3, 2007.

1. catsrdawg

catsrdawg Private E-2

Installed new 40 GB hdd to replace failed 4.87 GB in laptop, HP Pavilion N3210,
    433 mhz, I used EZ Gig kit to install system onto new HDD from old HDD, somehow I must have deleted boot sector and have to take out new hdd and boot from A:, then install new hdd back in place. So how do I install new boot sector on HDD....PLEASE.......Thanks

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

3. catsrdawg

catsrdawg Private E-2

Thanks for input Hopper. I am using XP pro sp1, sorry I didn't give that info , but I'm really getting beat up by this. here is more info, I have made setup disc according tp M/S, 6 floppys will only boot from floppy, then deleted files on setup disc 1 and installed Ntldr, Ntdetect.com and the Boot.ini from the computer I'm using now, same op system only has sp2 , checked the Boot.ini file and it should make no difference about sp1 or sp2, but when I try to boot using these disk it will not and to get it to do anything I have to take HDD outa of computer then boot whit boot disk, it will only go into A:\, and I have forgotten all I know about DOS and no books, I can then reinstall hdd and it will do no more. 40 Gb hdd with 38.0 formatted with NTSF and there is where the O/S is installed. Some where I screwed up and dropped the ball on formatting and deleted the boot sector! Any input will be greatly apprecited, I know just enought to get into DEEP trouble, my 63 year old mind does not preform as it used too, about like this computer I have misplaced a file or two!!

4. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

You have a misplaced partition or two!!!!!!

HP will have at least one FAT recovery partition on that original disk. You should use HP recovery proceedures that came with the laptop, not M$ ones.

5. SkunkWorks

SkunkWorks Private E-2

Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
    Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R"

Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, END setup

If the option to Repair Install is NOT available and you continue with the install; you will delete your Windows folder and the Documents and Settings folders.

1. Boot with XP CD or 6 floppy boot disk set.

2. Press R to load the Recovery Console.

3. Type "bootcfg" or "bootcfg /rebuild" the rebuild command scans the hard disks of the computer for installations, and then shows you the results. You can add the detected Windows installations at this time

4. This should fix any boot.ini errors causing setup not to see the XP OS install.

Hope this helps

Last edited: Jul 4, 2007
  6. catsrdawg

catsrdawg Private E-2

Thanks to all who replied, I have already tried the recoverey cosole, BOOTCFG /list and added my windows partition to the list, but still will not read the HDD to boot. I'm still trying and digging, THANKS for help, I'm still reading and trying things, anymore idea's PLEASE past them along.

7. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

So what resources do you have?

In particular what original stuff from HP do you have?
    You say the old drive has failed. Is it completely dead?

The laptop may have a 'bios lock' that will only boot with a hard drive of a specific serial number.

8. catsrdawg

catsrdawg Private E-2

I do hve the original windows 98 that came with computer, it had a 4.87 gb hdd at the time and has gone thru many a life science then, now it's win XP pro sp1, 40gb hdd. I have in the last bit of time aquired partition magic from my son and I'm going thru the process of downloading it and rebooting into recorvery to see if I can get magic to organize and set windows as active partition. I will post here when I see what happens. Thanks for all help, may be back shortly!

9. SkunkWorks

SkunkWorks Private E-2

One more suggestion

Reboot, this time taking the immediate R option and if the CD letter is say D: give these commands

copy D:\i386\ntldr C:\

copy D:\i386\ntdetect.com C:\

(two other files needed - just in case)

1. Type: attrib -h -r -s C:\boot.ini del C:\boot.ini

2. Type: BootCfg /Rebuild

which will get rid of any damaged boot.ini, search the disk for systems and make a new one. This might even result in a damaged windows reappearing; but gives another chance of getting at the repair"

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds