Processor Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by I_DROWN_FISH, Jul 27, 2007.

1. I_DROWN_FISH

I_DROWN_FISH Private E-2

OK, I am so lost in the world of processors.

My first question: Do all processors fit all motherboards?

My second question: How hard is it to install a processor? (I have installed RAM, Video card, sound card, usb slots, and hard drives. So you can compare it to those).

And My third Question: Could you help me find one right for me and my computer? (everest report attached)

Thanks alot

Attached Files:

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

No. There will be ranges of CPUs by different manufacturers that will use the same socket, but by no means does this cover ALL processors and motherboards. The main manufacturers are Intel and AMD, and they use completely different sockets, and periodically change their standard.

Installing the processor itself is a snap. Simply lift the retaining latch, drop the CPU in correctly (it will only align one way), and close the latch. Putting the heatsink on it is the tricky part. This requires a THIN layer of thermal compound to ensure conductivity on the CPU, and the heat sink usually snaps into a plastic retainer. Some are as complicated as screwing to the motherboard. You'll have to check the documentation that comes with it. I've had to take out the motherboard to do it before.

The processor reported here uses Socket 478 (meaning it has 478 pins). Any of the processors at this link should substitute nicely. (Less the Celeron D's, which I wouldn't recommend anyway)

3. I_DROWN_FISH

I_DROWN_FISH Private E-2

First off, thanks for all the help!

Few more questions! Do all processors require a new heat sink or do I have to buy it?

Are they all an upgrade from my existing processor?

How hard is this thermal stuff your talking about?

I thought I as gonna get like a DUO 2 Processor... Will that not fit my board? If that is the case I may be intersted in getting a new board all together... But thats a hole nother set of questions....

Thanks for your help so far!

4. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

Some processors come with a heatsink, other dont (ones that dont will say OEM after the name)

Are you talking about using the thermal paste? Its not hard at all, just involves smoothing a small drop of paste evenly across the processor

Unfortunately there are no dual core processors for 478, you will have to upgrade to an LGA775 board to get Core 2 Duo support. We can help you pick one out of course :p But that would also require getting a new PCI-Express video card (though some 775 boards have AGP I believe) and DDR2 RAM

5. I_DROWN_FISH

I_DROWN_FISH Private E-2

:( Well how much of an upgrade is it getting one of those?

6. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

well a p4 to a core 2 duo is a pretty impressive jump, core 2 runs circles around AMD's best. But it all depends on what you want to do with this computer. It may not be worth it for you.

7. I_DROWN_FISH

I_DROWN_FISH Private E-2

No I mean: how big of a jump is it to go from the card in my comp now to one of the ones in the list above?

8. I_DROWN_FISH

I_DROWN_FISH Private E-2

9. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

Im kinda confused about what you're asking...what do u mean by "big jump?" Do u mean is it hard? Performance?

10. I_DROWN_FISH

I_DROWN_FISH Private E-2

I mean am I going to be able to tell a diffrence in performance between my current one and the suggested ones.

11. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

between a p4 and a core 2 duo? yes you will, especially in intensive programs and games.

12. I_DROWN_FISH

I_DROWN_FISH Private E-2

None of these are Core 2 duo... Link

Would I notice a diffrence between the ones from the link above and the one in my computer now.

13. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

no, not really. the only one that would be a big upgrade would be a P4 Extreme Edition which ive only been able to find on ebay

14. I_DROWN_FISH

I_DROWN_FISH Private E-2

OK thanks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds