"no audio device" after reimage

Discussion in 'Software' started by degoodz, Sep 29, 2011.

1. degoodz

degoodz Private E-2

Hi,

I am working on a Dell optiplex 380, recently had it re-imaged to windows XP SP3. Now there is "no audio device" I checked device manager, nothing is in a problem state.

I downloaded and reinstalled the realtek audio drivers, (uninstalled and then installed) Restarted, no change.

I have spare parts so I replaced the motherboard to confirm that it is not a hardware issue, no change.

Anyone have any idea what can cause this issue? Seems like it must be drivers, perhaps I need to reinstall the chipset drivers as well?

I am using a universal image for many optiplex 380's and have installed a lot of them without any issues but for some reason this one is giving this error. I am currently reimaging and hope this solves the issue, if not I will attempt to install windows from scratch and manually install everything.

Let me know what you think

Thanks,

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hello,
    Is the Windows Audio Service set to Automatic? It would not be a bad idea to install the chipset drivers also.

3. degoodz

degoodz Private E-2

yea it is set to automatic and to start at startup. I am not back to the client but asked him about that, he also did the chipset himself but perhaps ill double check he did it correctly.

I am going to go try to boot it in ubuntu to see if everything works in that. Could be the standardised image the client is using is missing something or smt..

4. tgell

I would not know why it would be disabled but is there a setting in BIOS to enable onboard audio?

5. degoodz

degoodz Private E-2

yes there was an option to disable audio in bios, but already checked and it is enabled :(

6. tgell

7. SnowFalcon

SnowFalcon Private E-2

Did you check to see if the speakers were plugged into the computer? Silly question I know, but the speakers I have the cord barely makes it to the back end of the computer and if you move the speakers around it can cause the cord to come out.

Maybe the speakers have a problem?

Just a thought.

I have an older optiplex 280 still hanging around but never had issues installing the sound drivers. If the client did something to the chipsets, it would be a good idea to start from there.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds