How do I install drivers?

Discussion in 'Software' started by dzzog, Mar 22, 2004.

1. dzzog

dzzog Private E-2

G'Day everyone,I have downloaded drivers for Audio,multimedia.They are sitting on my desktop.My guestion is thus;how do I get the drivers from the desktop to where they need to be? Dzog---all answers would be appreciated.

2. wickedtaylor

wickedtaylor Private First Class

1st thing is what OS are you runing and what are you specs this can help out...
    you can do this 2 diff ways ...so let us know what type of OS you are runing ok

3. flammablesbad

flammablesbad Private E-2

Hmmm

Not all driver files go in directley or automatically some need to be point to certain files, Multimedia drivers can be a bitch to install so make sure that you have the right ones becuase, sometime by having the wrong set of drivers could skrew your machine up a little. :rolleyes:

4. dzzog

dzzog Private E-2

Added Info

G'Day and thanks to you who answered my question.Herer are some specs. OS win98se , RAM 632MB, AMD Athalon TB Processor,800 mhz, SIS-730 Main Board,Display SIS 630/730

(Display Adapter) No sound card (as of yet).Hope this helps. 1 more thing Device Manager states under Multi Function PC Card Parent-Device type-Adapters;This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the file (PCCARD.VXD)that loads the drivers for the device. Code 8. I have been working on this for approx 3 months now I refuse to give up I am no pro but I am determined to learn!!! With your help of course.

5. General_Lee_Stoned

General_Lee_Stoned BuZZed Lightyear

OK hi Dzdog
    Are you trying to install the onboard sound drivers?

If yes and you are sure you downloaded the correct drivers right click on the file you downloaded and see what the extension is (zip-exe- etc etc)

If you are not sure on anything please download and run this to find out the exact model/make etc of your onboard sound and post it here and well make sure youve got the correct drivers
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download181.html

6. dzzog

dzzog Private E-2

General_Lee_Stoned, I thank you sir,I do have Aida,great program here is what I found....Mo-Bo Name-ECSK7SEM;Chipset manufactureris SIS;AGP Properties...version 2.0 Status Disabled,Aperture Size 64MB Supported speeds 1x,2x,4x ;Fast Write-supported DISABLED;Side Band Addressing-supported DISABLED......Multimedia-vcm Missing the following ir32_32.dll iyvu9_32.dll Both INDEO and ESS system Drive properties having problems with drivers not being Allowed to work.------Dzzog

7. General_Lee_Stoned

Hi dz
    ok right you need to go here
    http://www.ecsusa.com/downloads/drivers_k7s.html

And download SiS900 LAN Driver V1.15 (network driver)
    The SiS 630/730 Sound Driver V1.17
    Also SiS 630/730 VGA Driver V2.08

Make sure you download the correct ones for Windows 98 ;)

As far as i can tell they are zip files so download them somewhere you can find them like your desktop
    Once downloaded you need to extract all the files using Winzip you can get that here if you aint got it
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=525
    To extract the files make three new folders somewhere you know they are but out of the way preferably in C:\Program Files\...
    Rename them LAN-SOUND-VGA respectively then extract each download to the corresponding folder follow the prompts in winzip and point it to the new folder,once extracted you need to run the setup i just downloaded the sound drivers and there is a set-up file there just double click to install
    If theres no set-up you need to go to device manager for the hardware you are trying to install right click it and select driver then update driver and point it to the folder you extracted the files too

Hope this makes sense to you any problems just ask :)

8. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

General, not sure if you noticed but just in case you didn't, this info
    would indicate that dz's PC is a laptop. Don't know if that makes a difference for what drivers he needs or not, so if you caught that then disregard my rude butting in...:p

9. General_Lee_Stoned

Hi Alan
    No i completly looked over that :p (must learn to read all the info posted)

Well i dont know if that makes a difference or not, the drivers are for that chipset he listed

@Dzdog what exact model of notebook you got (manufacturor-model)

10. dzzog

dzzog Private E-2

I am sorry for the slight overlook. I have a desktop model. Homemade. Not by me though. Thank-you for all the info .I'll let you know if it works.---------Dzzog:D

11. dzzog

dzzog Private E-2

General_Lee_Stoned, I am afraid I made one heck of a BOO_BOO!!!! Awhile back when I first was attempting to fix problem I decided to try different drivers. Now I do not know how to get rid of them.The ones you told me about are exactly what I need but I do not know how to get back to the original face.Such as for Audio I chose ESS 688 or something like that. How do I get rid of these? Do you think I should do a possible clean and reinstall? dzzog (by the way is a female) I am really making a big mess of things!!

12. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

Strange, why would a desktop mobo show PC-Card hardware :confused:

13. General_Lee_Stoned

That is strange Alan
    but looking at the errors and seeing the latest information from DZDOG im guessing its all linked to the attempt to install lots of wrong drivers

OK well a fresh install should really be our last option, although in this case something we will have to bear in mind

First off go to Device manager and uninstall the bad listing for PCcard the one with the warning triangle, reboot your machine hopefully this will be gone

Next follow the instructions i posted earlier and install all the device drivers one by one, having unused drivers installed should not be a problem, the new drivers should automatically take over the correct hardware

Do all that and let us know how you get on, and well take it from there :)

Dont worry well get it sorted one way or another ;)

14. dzzog

dzzog Private E-2

General,this is dzzog-I did as suggestes.Worked fine.However I am not able to get the drivers on to it I even put them on a floppy and tried to download them .windows keeps saying "Unable to find drivers" I am soo close to fixing this I know,Due to your help and others.How can I get these needed drivers to where they belong???? I am hangin in there.

15. General_Lee_Stoned

OK were getting there, I'm not quite sure I'm understanding your last post

Firstly i take it you have downloaded the drivers i linked too yes

If so did you use Winzip to extract the files to the folder i told you to make

Because i haven't checked the other sets but for the audio drivers,go to the folder you extracted the drivers too and double click the setup icon

16. dzzog

dzzog Private E-2

I DO I Install Drivers?

Hello again,sorry it's been so long in getting back,major illness.Anyway. I got the sound driver installed but cannot get the LAN or VGA installed .I followed The Generals' instuctions to the Tee. So there must be something else.I unzipped them to a folder. titled C:/Windows/Desktop/Lan and the VGA the same but device manager won't pick up on em.Any other suggestions? Thanks Dzzog

17. dzzog

dzzog Private E-2

Hello, Did everything you told me too.there are no setups on the VGA or LAN,like there was on the sound.--Nea

18. General_Lee_Stoned

Hi Dzdog, follow the excellent advice from goldfish and let us know how you get on

Me, its time for a smoke :)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2004
  19. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

There is an "inf" file, which is the actual driver information file. Im not sure about Win98 but i think in XP you can right click it and select install? But either way, if you uninstall the old drivers, when it re-detects it after a reboot, you should be able to specify that folder to install the new drivers from if you go with the "advanced" option in the Add new hardware wizard.

I'm a little hazey with Win98 so forgive me if i get bits wrong!

20. General_Lee_Stoned

cheers goldy glad you on the ball tonight, completely overlooked the inf option, teach me too concentrate more ;)
    Theres me trying to do it the hard way

That should work out just fine,
    Dzdog couldnt uninstall the old drivers as half the problem is they have seem to have gone missing :(

Thanks man :D

21. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Ahh, dang. Guess the only option is then to install over the top and hope for the best... Hmm...

22. General_Lee_Stoned

Hopefully work ok, the sound drivers went in fine, ;)

23. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

I wonder if we'll get some feedback on this issue.. I'd like to see how it goes!

24. pipercub

pipercub Private E-2

Hello,
    I ran accross this post while trying to find and install the sound driver for ECSK7SEM. This is how I go it to work. I downloaded the file from the site. (Thanks by the way) then I created a "temp" file and unzipped the file there Then I went into "Control Panel" "Systems" "PCI Audio Device" then selected update driver, C:\temp, and clicked on temp to give me the choices of "win95_98, win98SE and winME. Then I selected WINME since that is what I am using and it worked! Now my question is, what does this get me? Does the M/B have a built in sound card? If so, where do I plug in the speakers? Or is it something else.

Thanks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds