Windows cannot read from disk. Corrupted or format not compatible..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Coco Beans, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Coco Beans

Coco Beans Private E-2

I am using a Dell Inspiron 5160, running Windows XP with service pack 3.

When attempting to use any disc, I keep getting the follwoing message:
    "Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not compatible with Windows."

I was getting a popup msg stating that the drive didn't exist or couldn't be found. So, I ran Microsoft "Fix it" as described below, let it automatically fix any problems, and now I get the above msg (that the disc is corrupted or not compatible).

WHAT I'VE TRIED:

I ran Microsoft "FixIt" <http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems/en-us> but I'm still having the same problem. After running it, the "Additional Solutions" page listed: "Your CD or DVD drive can't read or write media" and "The drive is empty or the media format is not supported". These dvds have played on my computer before and they function fine in my sister's laptop and in my tv's dvd player.

I ran the "FixIt" utility again for funsies and I was able to play a music cd (from manufacturer, not burned). Ejected it, restarted I think, tried it again, and nothing.

I uninstalled my dvd rom and then restarted my computer to see if that would help, and still nothing. Not sure if this matters, but I have pulled the dvdrom tray/part completely out and re-inserted it (after all this started).

I verified that my dvd rom is set to the correct region (region 1).

I ran Everest and have attached a copy of the full report so you can see what goodies I have inside this thing. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I've only looked at a few links so don't have any answer yet. Just to rule out or in, have you added any new burning (Nero etc.) software or any emulation (PowerISO Daemon Tools, MagicISO) software recently?

3. Coco Beans

Coco Beans Private E-2

Hey! No, I have not added any new burning (Nero etc.) software or any emulation (PowerISO Daemon Tools, MagicISO) software. However, I just thought to mention... I've been having another problem that MAY be related: every now and then when I turn on my computer, I'll get a blue screen with an error message stating that one of my device drivers is stuck in an infinite loop, and I'm pretty sure it says it's xgiv3. Now, last night, I was reading thru another post where it seemed someone had a similar problem (with the dvd rom) and it gave instructions to remove some registry keys. I removed one, and upon start up got that blue error screen for the first time in a long time.. So, thought I should tell ya that in case it's all the same issue!

Thank you so much for your help - I really appreciate your time! :)

4. Rocktot

Rocktot Private First Class

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds