Exporting / Importing messages with Outlook Express

Discussion in 'Software' started by hawthorn, Jan 16, 2008.

1. hawthorn

hawthorn Private E-2

I have done this successfully before.

Anyway I've just tried to import them to my new laptop with Windows Mail, and its not successful. Just says cannot import all messages, but in fact none of them were imported.

Luckily I still have the old laptop, and opened OE6 and imported them back in, which was successful. In the main, anyway. So its a W Mail problem. Windows mail is sluggish and doesnt update some things unless you close and re-open it. Bad.

But here is my main problem: I say "in the main" as I appear to have lost some messages. My Deleted Items is now empty (maybe I emptied it first, I honestly cant remember!), and about 35 messages I have in another folder are gone! it appears that any messages that I had not put in a folder inside the folder the were already in (ie Deleted, Sent, Gigs 2008 etc) are gone! They're just not there. I hope Im explaining the folder bit clearly.

Please tell me theres a way to get them back..?? Because theyre gone from my first laptop, I either deleted them after copying them, or else moved them instead of copying them. :cry

I dont suppose theres a way of findng them?

regards

2. foreverice

foreverice Private E-2

Have you looked in this folder C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\<GUID>\Microsoft\Outlook Express.

There should be files in there like inbox.mbx etc.

Let me know what you find.

3. hawthorn

hawthorn Private E-2

Thats where i stored my emails.But they're all.dbx Something must have happened in the transferring(exporting). When i look at them now in list form, all the files/messages/folders up to letter F are just 11kb in size. SOME of these are still in my OE6 after I imported them back in, but are EMPTY! There should be several messages in them.

Weirdly, the ones that begin with letter G or later are intact. WTF?

This is a major disaster for me, hundreds of business emails missing! Is there any point doing a system restore?

I cant believe this!

h

4. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

.dbx is the normal extension for OE folders.

5. foreverice

foreverice Private E-2

If your not sure how to re-import the .dbx files back into OE try this link: http://www.insideoutlookexpress.com/faqs/how.htm#importOE5

If you find that you are still having trouble I'm not so sure a restore will do the trick, as restore points are created by system changes and do not affect personal data.

6. hawthorn

hawthorn Private E-2

The problem now seems to be that even where I have them stored (Outlook Express folder on desktop) there are many folders empty, just 11kb. Weirdly, folders beginning with letters A to F are empty, then from G on are ok!!

h

7. hawthorn

hawthorn Private E-2

Actually what actually happened was, I copied them initially to desktop and then to flash drive. So you would think I would have 2 sets of them. however heres the thing, after I imported them back into OE6 from the desktop folder, every folder beginning with A to F is empty! And from G on is OK. I have several different folders of categories, each with sub folders and in every case its the same, A to F empty and G onwards ok!

Now heres another thing, on the flash drive the A to F folders dont appear at all! Only from G on, and theyre all ok. BUT on the desktop folder, A to F DO appear, but theyre only 11kb, ie empty. This is strange.

So if I can get no further, what Im missing is all the messages in folders A to F, not as bad as initially thought. In that event I do happen to have a copy of the store folder taken in October. But how would I import only the folders A to F without making an almighty mess again?

Still puzzled as to how A to F is gone!

h

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds