Internet Explorer will not connect to the Internet

Discussion in 'Software' started by mark59, Apr 7, 2009.

1. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

My Internet Browser is Firefox but obviously still need IE for things like Windows Update. Yesterday I upgraded IE to the latest version using and now IE won't connect to the Internet. When I try to run Windows Update I receive the following error message: "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage. What you can try: Diagnose Connection Problems." I have clicked on the button "Diagnose Connection Problems". This brings up Network Diagnostics for Windows XP. When this came up I clicked on the button Next and the diagnostic tool ran. I received the report: "Windows did not detect any problems with your Internet Connection." I knew this already as nothing else is having problems.

How can I fix IE8. I am not bothered so much about having IE but I do want to be able to run Windows Update.

2. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

Try to write something in the search field. It actually works in spite of that message.

(For XP: ) Also try to go via Start -> All programs and then click the Microsoft Update link in the upper left corner.

As for your question - well, we're all waiting for Microsoft to fix those bugs...

3. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

My firewall usually has a popup when a program changes and asks if I want to allow this "new" program. IE 7 and IE 8 are different programs as far as my firewall. Have you checked the firewall to be sure IE 8 is not blocked by it?

5. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

Thanks guys for your advice. It was my firewall!:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds