Home Theater Question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by GRWDAD, Feb 15, 2007.

1. GRWDAD

GRWDAD Private First Class

This may be the wrong place but I have gotta a lot of help from this site so I thought I would ask. OK, been doing this for some time but never involving a satellite receiver. Father In Law got a home theater re3ceiver and speaker setup, Sony. Wanted me to hook it all up for him real quick, it should take long. Has an older Dish network satellite receiver. OK, so I am going to hook everything to Video 1 on the TV, On the theater receiver I put satellite on video 1(RCA cable), VCR on video 2(RCA cable), XBOX360 on video 3(RCA cables), and DVD on DVD(RCA cables). Turn everything on, put in and started a video tape, DVD, and XBOX360 game. Turned TV to video 1, satellite sound but no picture, turned theater receiver to video 2, 3, and DVD, and they worked fine respectively, both picture and sound. Change RCA cable from satellite receiver to theater receiver, nothing. Unplugged video from satellite receiver out and TV video in(which comes from the theater video out). Connected straight from satellite video out to TV video in and have a picture. So the satlellite video out is working. THere seems to be a problem with the satellite out going through the theater receiver and out to the TV. Is this satellite receiver outputting a digital signal which is causing the problem through the theater receiver? Before, the satellite receiver had the RG6 into the input port and an RG6 out to the ANT input on the TV. The ANT port should be analog right? I've never hooked up a satllite before so I don't know if it has to be converted or not. Any ideas? Thanks

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Sentence structure is making it hard to understand your problem. If you hooked it up as the owner's manual states for the receiver, then from there, hook the equipment up from the output on the equipment side, to the input of the receiver side, you should have no problem going to 'Video', and hearing sound from the Satellite Receiver, or press 'DVD' for the Video game, if no DVD player is hooked up.

Work with one piece of equipment at a time, get it working, then go to the next, hook it up, get it working, then go from there. Also, using Composite out from the receiver to the TV is low quality, compared to S-Video, or Component. If any further questions, you may want to head over to http://avforums.com

3. GRWDAD

Sorry for the poor wording. I was having a conversation with someone as I was typing. Everything works perfect, as it is suppose too, except for the satellite. And it is hooked up the same as the rest so I don't understand why it is not working. The audio works through the receiver but no video is coming out from it. I hooked up the video from the satllite receiver straight to the TV video input and had a picture. So that tells me that the satellite receiver is outputting a video signal. The breakdown seems to be the home theater receiver. But all other video inputs,vcr,dvd,xbox, are outputting video fine going through the theater receiver. That's where I am confused. I am thinking maybe the satellite receiver is HD and the theater receiver doesn't like it? The theater doesn't have S-video inputs or outputs(cheaper) but I think it had a HMDI. I just hate to spend the money on a cable if all I am in need of is converting the satllite output into an analog signal. I know it is not as good of a video picture but my inlaws aren't concerned with that. They just want the surround sound without spending a lot of cash. Thanks for the help though. I'll check out that link.

4. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

If not getting video from the Satellite Receiver, make sure that the Video cable is actually on the Output on the Sat. Receiver, and In on the A/V receiver. Also, may want to check that the selector is set correctly (ie sound only from the sat). If everything is turned on at the same time, the Receiver can be getting confused if the input is a Shared input.

5. GRWDAD

Thanks. I'll probably be back over there is weekend so I'll go through it all again. It just doesn't make sense that the satellite video is the only thing not working. But knowing that satellite is a digital signal, I assumed the satellite receiver would convert it down before sending it out if you didn't have a digital TV. I hooked the satellite back up directly to the TV and left everything else going through the home stereo. He uses input Ant1 for satellite, then switches the TV to VIDEO 1 for everything else. But thanks for the help. I might have just missed something.

6. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

The receiver turns the digital signal it receives into an analog signal when outputing on the Coax output for hooking to a TV,or on the A/V composite & S-Video outputs. Only output that is digital is the Audio Fiber & HDMI outputs.

Just make sure that if hooking up composite, that you go Audio Red & White to Audio Red & White input on the A/V receiver, and the Video Yellow to Video Yellow input. It is pretty much straight forward. Any manufacturer that makes Video equipment (DVD, VCR, Video Game, Sat. Receivers, etc), have manuals online at their sites.

7. GRWDAD

That's what I don'tget, it is straight forward, but yet that one device doesn't work through the home theater? The others devices went as planned as the satellite should have. Maybe there is some setting I have to setup in the home theater. I only spent about 30 minutes hooking it up and troubleshooting this issue. It was getting late and my wife was nagging me to leave. I'll get the manual out when I go back over there. That's what we men do, read the manual last and only if there is a problem. I have never dealt with the satellite side of things so wanted to ask someone. Being in the electrical field, I do know what digital and analog signals are not the same and require there own proprietary devices. Thanks for the help.

8. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

The video is not digital, it is analog. Satellite receivers translate the digital transmission through D/A convertors for A/V analog outputs to be able to send the signal to components such as TV's & Stereo Receivers. Only time it is digital, is when you connect a HDMI or DVI cable for video (HDMI puts audio & video together), or Coaxial audio or Toslink Audio, which are both digital.

You are putting too much thought into how the equipment works, not how the hook ups are supposed to be done.

9. RexNoctis

RexNoctis Corporal

Just a quick thought, may be very wrong but in the UK, the Ant1 port is usually going to be an input for an aerial signal (RF signal)?, then the TV is tuned to the frequency output by the satellite receiver. This wouldn't be a video signal and the home theatre receiver wouldn't be able to switch it.

Ah, doesn't explain how you can get sound though, unless you have seperate sound hookups between the satellite receiver and the Sony home theatre?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds