Anyone buffering at the moment?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Publius, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Publius

Publius Sergeant

The reason I ask is, I have one comp on which I have 3 WUs in queue and the next WU should be finished on monday. This is an old beast at work (P3 500Mhz that was collecting dust in the corner of the lab) that I have doing nothing but folding. It is SLOW (4 days for a gromac and 8-10 for a tinker), so I have held the last few WUs to see what effect it would have on my production. The problem is, I forgot to look and see what the deadline for the first one I put in queue is, so I want to go ahead and dump on Mon when the next is finished so it doesn't expire. It should be 600 to 700 pts. Anyone else have any to dump at the same time?

Oh, and by the way... :)

Attached Files:

2. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Monday, eh? How about an informal dump? I'll get my lappy loading a new unit, I've got 2 units on my desktop to send off, deadlineless so I'll hold them till monday then :)

What sort of window would you be submitting them in? the 00:00-12:00 or 12:00-00:00?

3. Publius

Publius Sergeant

Let me get back to work tomorrow, and I will figure out when the next unit will be done and post the approximate time. It will probably be 12:00 to 00:00.

4. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Ach, I got a 1000 frame gromac on the lappy, which doesn't look like it'll be done by tomorow. I'll have to start another and *hope* that its only a 250 or 100 frame'er.

Yah I got a 250'er. Had to use -advmethods to get it, though...

5. Bluepickle

Bluepickle Major Folder

Ok, I was just wondering about the purpose of the buffering. It seems to me like it really wouldn't help. What I mean is that if you submit your WU's when you're done with them, doesn't it add up to the same amount as if you hold on to them? Just seems to me like you'd be slowing yourself down, just to get a burst of points all at once.

6. Bluepickle

Bluepickle Major Folder

Anyone?

7. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

The idea isn't JUST to stop submitting work, but to faciliate more machines temporarily being recruited for one "dump". For example, if I were to get on the right side of one of my IT Tech's I might be able to run Folding on a room of PCs over school holidays, but not during term. This would give us a sudden increace of production, and with other people dumping their WUs all at once, you get a big jump in points and so you can improve your rankings.

8. Bluepickle

Bluepickle Major Folder

OK, that makes sense. Thanks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds