developer here

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by BadPointer, Jan 30, 2015.

1. BadPointer

BadPointer Private E-2

The title says pretty much everything you need to know.

Still waiting till my thread is approved by mods...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2015
  2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to Majorgeeks.

Unfortunately, I've had to edit your post and your signature as both are too much like advertising which we do not allow.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  3. BadPointer

BadPointer Private E-2

My software is Open Source and free to use. It's not ad-supported and it doesn't have any bundled software. I don't even ask for donations. While I initially made the software for myself, I decided to share to with others so that people could benefit from it as well. I'm not expecting anything in return. So I fail to see how the "No Advertising - You are not permitted to make money using Majorgeek." rule applies to me.

I made this software because I wasn't happy with what was available. Alternatives tend bundle unwanted software, have free versions with major limitations and require an Internet connection, non-portable(must be installed before they can be used). My software does a better job anyway because it errs on the safe side by default(it can be adjusted), instead of urging users to do as many risky actions as possible in order to appear more useful.

I hope it's just a misunderstanding and not MajorGeeks expecting to get a cut from featuring software that tries to trick users into installing software they don't want while intentionally omitting alternatives that don't generate revenue.

4. LauraR

Understood. Its all a matter of the fact that all software hosted on our site is tested by the two owners. We don't allow anyone to list their software in a post, so its nothing against yours and doesn't have to do with revenue. We aren't like the huge download sites out there that host anything and everything. Here's info on how software is picked: http://www.majorgeeks.com/content/page/aboutcontact_us.html

You can also follow that link and scroll down to the bottom and you'll find the email for where to submit your software for review. :)

5. BadPointer

BadPointer Private E-2

Thanks for the heads up!

6. BadPointer

BadPointer Private E-2

7. LauraR

Nice! Congrats on having it approved. :)

If you want to start a thread in our Software forum (http://forums.majorgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21) just explaining it, I think that would be fine as long as you link to the Majorgeeks download as you did above.

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Nicely put Laura, and BadPointer congrats on getting your app listed and we do have a few devs here that have perpetual threads on their apps, they update us on development, take questions and allow members to beta test and feedback.

9. BadPointer

BadPointer Private E-2

Is there any problem with my thread? It's still not listed.

10. LauraR

Did you start a thread? I haven't seen one go into moderation and there isn't one there now.

11. BadPointer

BadPointer Private E-2

I did. It said that it went into moderation. I'm going to post it here so it could be moved in the correct section.

12. LauraR

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds