white screen NOO

Discussion in 'Software' started by wbellavanc, Sep 22, 2007.

1. wbellavanc

wbellavanc Private E-2

A little back ground Had alot of malware issues with the help of bjgarrick and Chaslang they are all set other then this issue im having with some of xp software problem areas are

services (white screen only under extended)
    user account (white screen)
    ie 6 (links are not displaying or links aren't working)
    searches (white screen other then dog in the left corner)

It's hard to explain so i posted pics to see

I forgot to add i did a sfc /scannow no errors i did a restart and still same problem

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2007
  2. Cat_w_9_lives

Cat_w_9_lives Major KittyCat

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Java?

3. wbellavanc

wbellavanc Private E-2

yes I removed it completely and tried a reinstall still same issues

4. Cat_w_9_lives

Might be to versions of java on your machine...but slim chance that malware would miss it, unless you changed something.

Look in Java Control Panel > Java > Java Runtime Settings

Click view on top and bottom, tell us what it says

Also after doing above, please answer
    When did issue start:
    before malware removal or after
    before driver updates or after
    Info will help others come up with solutions, also post your pc info/specs.

5. wbellavanc

wbellavanc Private E-2

Well this isn't my pc it's a friend of mines. When i got it you couldn't run any .exe file what soo ever your would get a run32 error. After geting spybot to boot up and run i was able to clean alot of stuff out when allowed me to access the .exe files. After some extensive cleaning of the pc with the help of major geeks i started looking around and found those issues. Now talking with my friend everything was fine up until the other day when he couldn't access any .exe files.

The pc info

Intel pentium 4 1500MHz
    1.49GHz 256mb of ram
    Xp home SP2

Now I was at work thinking While still with malware issues the pc ran a update and updated to sp2. If i uninstall SP2 and then reinstall with a fresh download do you think this would make a difference.

Java info:

Java applet runtime settings
    JRE 1.6.0_02 Java location

Java aplication runtime settings
    1.6 1.6.0_02 http:\\java.sun.... C:\program files.... enabled

6. Cat_w_9_lives

Is above correct? I'm currently using 405MB with XP-SP2 and only have IE, Firewall, Antivirus/spy, Folding on.

If above is correct, think you need more memory, what programs are running at start-up? You can wait for other opinions too.

7. wbellavanc

wbellavanc Private E-2

yes 256 was running before fine.

8. Cat_w_9_lives

What programs run at start-up?

9. wbellavanc

wbellavanc Private E-2

min nothing added from original i can add in another 256 i have the ram on my desk

10. Cat_w_9_lives

You have no firewall, antivirus, spyware running? Just IE?

Re memory if is for your pc and you know how, yes add it. If you need help please post.

11. wbellavanc

wbellavanc Private E-2

no firewall im behind a router. And i do have avg loading but doesn't take much i don't see how adding memery will fix my problem. But i have tried everything else

12. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type regsvr32 jscript.dll, and then click OK.
    3. Click OK.
    4. Click Start, and then click Run.
    5. In the Open box, type regsvr32 vbscript.dll, and then click OK.
    6. Click OK.

See if that fixes anything.

Steve

13. Cat_w_9_lives

Well can't hurt and might help, so why not. Others will review posts an add suggestions too if they have ideas.

14. Cat_w_9_lives

Oops, did not see Matacumbie, please ignore my last post an follow His directions.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2007
  15. wbellavanc

wbellavanc Private E-2

yes fixed all my issues

How do i set those up to load all the time

16. wbellavanc

wbellavanc Private E-2

nevermind thank you very much

17. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Good deal. :)

Steve

18. lemming02

lemming02 Private E-2

You mentioned the friends PC has XP, but is it home or professional.

Find out by having him right-click on my computer and go to properties. From there he should see (in the general tab)

It seems obvious that your problem is corrupted system files. If it is XP pro you can try doing a repair installation which is not going to wipe your data just repair system files. However, with XP home this option is unfortunately not available.

To perform a repair installation simply insert your XP Pro disk into the computer and restart. Press enter to boot from CD when it passes POST (Power On Self Test). The you will get a blue windows installation screen. Let it do what it does, but slow down and read your options. Navigate to the repair installation option choosing the proper partition with the malfunctioning OS (probably the top one probably NTFS format). DO NOT re-install without trying this first.

If you have XP home I recommend backing up what you want to save perhaps by creating and using a bootable knoppix along with a DVDR or CDR drive. Knoppix is a linux based GUI operating system that lives in the system ram and will allow you to back up your files by burning CDs or DVDs using the kp3 software that comes with it. You should be able to download the .iso file on line and then make a disk image. Just plan out what needs backed up and what doesn't. Back up. I recommend you check online to learn how to back up certain files that are special and work with software. Like Outlook Express address book is an example of something that you would need to look into rather than just copy the file as is. After full back up, reformat and reinstall. Sometimes thats the best thing to do when you have corrupted system files and a repair installation isn't available.

Let me know if this was help, was not helpful, or you just don't want to try this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds