Zorin wallpaper changer.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Coffee Guy, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Coffee Guy

Coffee Guy Private E-2

Hello everyone. Made the switch from XP to Zorin. Trying to get any wallpaper changer to work. Using their programs or using wine ( deskslide) Not one of them will except my wallpaper folder. I have 50 pics right now in my pictures. Made a new folder called wallpaper and they are in that folder. That I know because when I right click the desktop and click on desktop preference and click on the little icon (?) to the right all my pics show up and I can do it that way. Just trying to get any changer to work. The error I get is that I need to load more images. If it shows when I use desktop preferences why not in any changer of Zorins. They are all jpegs. On a side note- any other iso's under 700 mb I can try. Thanks for any help you might give!

2. Coffee Guy

Coffee Guy Private E-2

Hello again. Well, Please don't bother with my question. Gave up with all the fustration of trying. Too much for this ole guy. Going back to doing it myself. Only 5 clicks and I'm happy again. Have a good Easter dinner!

3. Hedon James

Hedon James Sergeant

Not sure what your asking for Coffee? It sounds like you have a wallpaper changer in Zorin and it sounds like you can see wallpapers to choose from.

FWIW, you don't have to rename your pics to "wallpaper", as Zorin has a default "wallpaper" folder for stock walllpapers. But you can certainly use any of your personal photos as wallpaper, assuming you're happy with the resolution & appearance.

Simply right click anywhere on your existing desktop wallpaper and choose "change desktop background". A window will appear, displaying your CURRENT wallpaper in the left pane, and your default wallpaper choices in the right pane, under the "wallpaper" pulldown menu. To choose one of your personal pictures as a wallpaper, click on the pull-down menu and choose "pictures folder" and click the "+" icon (or you can choose the "color & gradient" option for a shaded/gradient look, similar to default). Navigate through your picture directory, find the picture you want to use, and click "open", which should display your picture as desktop wallpaper.

Is this what you WANT it to do? If so, you should already have what you're looking for. IF not, please describe what is not working above, or describe the alternative behavior you're looking for. Perhaps a random switcher, or a timed slideshow? :confused

4. Coffee Guy

Coffee Guy Private E-2

Hello Hedon. I'll give it one more try(?) with your help. Was trying "Cortina", along with other changers. When I had XP,"Deskslide" worked the way I'm trying now. I want to have the wallpaper change when ever I would start the computer. Cortina has that option. Tried to add my folder (wallpaper folder) Each changer I tried would not except the folder. Even tried to add one image at a time. Would not wok either. Must be something I'm not doing right. Seems simple enough to follow thier directions, but no doing. So I don't mind if you want to forget about helping. I mean two days of fustration is enough for me. On my other qustion, any other iso's under 700 mbs. Thanks for your help.

5. Hedon James

Hedon James Sergeant

According to the Software Center, Cortina is "broken" in Ubuntu 12.04+ versions. Zorin 6 is based on Ubuntu 12.04, so if you're using Zorin 6, 7, or 8, it's probably broken in Zorin also.

Looking at the Software Center, perhaps Wallch will suit your needs? It's a 4-star app, rated by over 160 users, and reviews state that it works in 12.04. Alternatively, LXLE has a "random wallpaper" program that automatically and randomly changes the wallpaper at every startup/login. LXLE is based on a LXDE desktop environment, but I'll try to figure out what that program is if you want to chase it down. Perhaps Wallch will configure for that option?

As far as other ISOs under 700MB...I'm assuming you're looking for <700MB because of a CD reader/burner only? Zorin Lite 6 is a lightweight version of Zorin that is almost identical to Zorin, but lighter/faster/snappier. Are you dissatisfied with Zorin? If so, in what way(s)?

Would you prefer to stick with something that somewhat resembles a Windows XP layout? Or is a completely different and foreign appearance a potential option for you? Would a Mac-like appearance be okay? What functions do you require from your desktop? Or is it a laptop?

I can make some recommendations for other Linux distros<700MB, but I'd like my recommendations to fit YOUR criteria, rather than me blindly stating "try Distro X" without any regard for your criteria or personal preferences.

6. Coffee Guy

Coffee Guy Private E-2

Well Hedon, Here' s the answer. I have Zorin 6.4. Have updated and got wine to load some games I like (Scrabble, Solitaire ) I'm happy enough with Zorin, except for that wallpaper changer. Tried Wally , Wallach, Cortina, Nitrogen, Varieity, Slidewall. Not one would except the wallpaper folder. Must be something on my part. Don't really care any more. Like I said before, it's 5 clicks and I have something new to look at, and I'm back smiling. Now as far as trying some other iso's. I have tried about nine others, still have the CD's Every so often I would try another iso. So it doesn't matter which one I try. I have a laptop with Win 7 . I can't load XP any more So my old deaktop I can fool around with. Trouble is , it seems like Zorin has control of the computer (ha) . Tried the other night to load Lubuntu 12.10 After 1 1/2 hours still on the page where it tells you must have so many gigs and internet connection. Gave up on that also. Did like Centos, PCLinuxOS, Fedora,. So if you like I don't mind looking at other os's. Yes, can only read CDs' Thanks a lot for getting back to me .

7. Coffee Guy

Coffee Guy Private E-2

Hedon, if I don't reply it's because I'm leaving to go to my sister's for dinner. Will be back on the computer tomorrow ( Monday ). Have a good day !

8. Hedon James

Hedon James Sergeant

Cool, I gotcha. You're not really looking for anything specifically, just want to check things out for the sake of learning about new things. Welcome to the club!

I'm an Ubuntu fan, so I like to explore the Ubuntu/Debian branch of Linux. I've loaded numerous ISOs as Virtual Machines (VM) in VirtualBox, just to check things out and learn stuff. In no particular order, here are a few low-resource distro ISOs that I have enjoyed, for various reasons:

AntiX (not a fan of the new version MX-14, with XFCE desktop; probably >700MB anyway; stick with version 13.x)
    http://antix.mepis.org/index.php?title=Main_Page#Downloads

Bodhi (a strange bird, but very lightweight, responsive & fun to poke around)
    http://www.bodhilinux.com/

Elementary (just discovered this week, but like very much so far; ignore "suggested" contribution and download for free, you can contribute later if you wish)
    http://elementaryos.org/

Lubuntu (just released 14.04 last week! haven't had a chance to check it out yet, but I like the low-resource LXDE desktop environment)
    http://lubuntu.net/

Peppermint (haven't played with in a long time; might have to refresh this VM and check out again for myself)
    http://peppermintos.com/

Zorin Lite (use Lite tab from download link; stay with LTS, IMO; Zorin Lite has a very cool "look changer" that switches from a WinXP appearance to a Mac appearance with a dock, which can be switched from the bottom to the left edge, which is VERY handly for smaller netbook screens with wide aspect ratios)
    http://zorin-os.com/free6.html

It's getting harder to find ISOs <700MB, but those should keep you busy for awhile. If you want to search for lower-spec distros (most likely to fit on a CD), try searching for LXDE desktops, OpenBox, FluxBox, and IceWM based desktops. There are many others, but these are the most popular of the lower-specced distros, and also the most user-friendly.

Try to keep in mind that, as a general rule of thumb, the smaller the ISO, the less user-friendly it is likely to be "out of the box". It's a trade-off, but I'm sure you'll find something you enjoy! Good luck!

9. Coffee Guy

Coffee Guy Private E-2

Hello again. Was at my sister's for Easter and stayed another day longer. Don't see her too often any more. So back to Linux. Hedon James, tried some of those iso''s you had listed. Elementary froze up on the scripted E and just shut down. I had Fedora CD. When those two blue bars turned to white that also froze. Had Kubuntu CD, tried that and -WOW- , as soon has the disc was in it started giving me a whole bunch of error's 3200, and a bunch of number flying by. Shut down reall quick. So you see I don't mind fooling around a bit. Would like to find one Linux that works for me. Anyway, I'm going to stick with Zorin... Gave up on the wallpaper changer. Next help I need is finding a email notifer that works with Evolution mail. Some of the ones' they have listed doesn't show up when I look for it after downloading it. Using Pop Peeper right now, but when I click on show mail client it tells me can not find Evolution. There again it's not to important. I also am using Firefoxs' simple mail. That shows a little notification box, but can not get the Bugs Bunny wav sound to work. Worked when I first found it. Left click and it worked, so I saved it and put it in Simple Mail. No luck there. So that's where I am now. Any help from you, or any one else-- THANKS

10. Hedon James

Hedon James Sergeant

That's alot of errors for LiveCD bootups. Sounds like hardware issues. Inasmuch as LiveCDs run completely from RAM, do you have at least 1GB of RAM in your machine? Alternatively, perhaps you have a bad CD burner, causing sporadic bad burns? Or perhaps corrupted downloads?

Do you have a spare USB stick (2GB or more) in order to try a LiveUSB? Ubuntu has excellent instructions on their site, but it's not specific to Ubuntu; you can use the Ubuntu instructions for any ISO of your choice:

Creating from Linux:
    http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-ubuntu

Creating from Windows:
    http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows

Here is how to boot from a LiveUSB (similar to LiveCD):
    http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/try-ubuntu-before-you-install

A LiveUSB will run quicker, smoother, and be more responsive. This method may prove to be less troublesome and more reliable for you, FWIW.

With respect to your other questions, I have no experience with any of those software packages. I'm reluctant to provide theoretical advice for anything that I have no personal experience with. Sorry. Perhaps others will chime in with suggestions.

May I suggest you start a different thread with a title of Linux - Mail notifications, or something similar? I'm afraid you'll get very little response to your questions, buried in a "Zorin Wallpaper" thread. Good luck!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds