Windows failed to start Hardware upgrade problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by lamedog, Jan 14, 2005.

1. lamedog

lamedog Private E-2

I was running a P4 2.4GHz system with 512Meg and 80Gig HD. I upgraded to a P4 3.2GHz (new MB) and 1Gig memory. I am running Windows XP Home.

When I installed all the new equipment and booted up, I got a Windows has failed to start error (Or something like that). It gave me the options of booting in safe mode, using last good known command, starting normally, and a few others that I no longer remember.

I selected safe mode first... and the comp rebooted and came back to the same screen, (I got all the normall startup stuff, memory test, master slave info etc). No matter which option I picked, it always rebooted and came back to the same screeen.

I had a 30Gig HD in a system that I was using for parts, so I installed that one and got the same messages. (The other system was also running Windows Xp). I ended up formatting the 30Gig, and it is the system I am using as I type. I really want to get some files off of that 80Gig HD and then use it as the Master.

I then hooked the 80Gig HD as slave and tried to copy the important stuff off of it (read that as a few Gig of Digital Pictures from the past 3 years). When I first tried to acces the files, it just said access is denied. It also says there is 0 bytes of information there. (It says 0 folders and 0 files)

I then tried to use the file transfer wizard. I can see all of the folders, but it still says access is denied.

Took the drive to a friends house who has just started experimenting with Linux. He said he might be able to copy the files reguardless of what Windows thinks. It was not able to, as he was not familiar enough with Linux to make an attempt that we didn't think would end in data loss.

I took the drive home and did a search for file recovery software. I found one that had a trial portion (would let you look at files, just not recover them). Yep, my files are all there, I just can't get to them using Windows.

Is there any fix to this? It seems it all started when I upgraded my hardware, but became a software issue. I can buy the full version of the file recovery software for $40, but in my opinion, it is something that Windows should be able to fix.

Wow.... thats a lot. Any info would be appreciated, and I am so glad someone pointed me towards this site.

2. lamedog

lamedog Private E-2

Sorry I don't have the exact messages, as I have already formatted one HD. Would this be better posted in the Hardware? I am really not sure what is causing it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds