VNC Server Hack

Discussion in 'Software' started by Global2004, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Global2004

Global2004 Private First Class

Hello All,

Not sure if this is the right forum to post this question, but here it goes.

When I start-up my computer, VNC Server shows itself running in the bottom right-hand corner of my computer. There appears to be no password set on this program. I already know if VNC is left running my computer has a very hight risk of being hacked.

If I close the VNC Server program can the hacker still start it back up if my computer is left running and connected to the internet? I have a router on my computer as well as all the programs and tools suggested in the Major Geeks forums.

Does someone know of a website that gives step by step tips on how to set the password on VNC or who might be able to walk me through it?

*The reason I have VNC on my system is because the PC Service who built my system installed it so if I had any problems with my system they could do it remotely.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Global

2. MKorostoff

MKorostoff Private First Class

If you leave the VNC server closed, a hacker could conceivabley get into your computer and turn VNC on, but if you have even the most basic of security measures (firewall for instance) the risk of this happening is EXCEEDINGLY low. As a matter of fact, if someone gains enough access to your computer that they can execute the VNC server client, they don't need to use VNC.

Regardless, you should AT LEAST have a password set on VNC. To do this, go to Start>>All Programs>>realVNC>>VNC Server 4 (user mode)>>Configure User Mode Settings. Click the "Authentication" tab. Select the "VNC Password Authentication" option and click "Configure." Enter your password there.

For added security, check the "Prompt local user to accept connections" box.

For even more added security, find out the IP address(es) of the PC Service that will be connecting to your computer and Add it in the connections Tab.

I only use vnc on my local network (that is to say, only computers inside my house are allowed to access the one computer that occassionally has the VNC server opened) but if you're going to be using it with remote (over the internet) computers, you could try something really fancy, and use the VNC controls over a secure SSH or VPN connection, rather than the wide open internet. I've never tried such a thing, but some basic instructions can be found here.

Happy surfing! :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds