Desktop Disappeared

Discussion in 'Software' started by Evan Downing, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Evan Downing

Evan Downing Private E-2

My desktop has disappeared.

When I start my computer, my desktop is there for 5-10 seconds, then it disappears. After that, I can no longer rightclick on my desktop.

Everything still runs fine on the computer, but I cannot use my desktop at all.

help?

note: I have used spybot search and destroy, norton, AVG anti-virus, and adaware, but to no avail.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

What OS are you using?

also what Graphic Card?

if its a Nvidia one ( well newer versions ) then goto the cards property settings and make sure Single Display ( eg. check setting for Desktop 1 if that doesnt work check setting for Desktop 2. ) is set or revert back to default settings.

3. Evan Downing

Evan Downing Private E-2

Windows XP

Radeon 9800 Pro

4. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Private E-2

what was the last change you made before this started?

5. Evan Downing

Evan Downing Private E-2

There wasn't one. I hadn't downloaded or uploaded anything on my comoputer for weeks, I just used it to browse forums and read mail. Occasionally for homework.

6. Farbib

Farbib Corporal

Sounds to me like your explorer.exe (not Internet Explorer ) stops running? If so, try CTL-ALT-DLT, Task Manager, File and New. Type "explorer."

7. Evan Downing

Evan Downing Private E-2

all it did was open up a file browsing thing.

8. Farbib

Farbib Corporal

Okay, so that probably rules out explorer. I'm trying to figure out what you mean by the desktop disappeared.

Are there icons on the desktop, but you just cannot use them? Is there a toolbar, a system tray and a start menu on the bottom, but they you cannot use them? Or is it merely you cannot right-click things on the desktop?

9. Evan Downing

Evan Downing Private E-2

the icons are there for a few moments, and then disappear. After they disappear, I can no longer right click on my desktop, nor make that box by left clicking and dragging.

my start bar is there, and can be used, as are quicklaunch icons.

10. Farbib

Farbib Corporal

Does installing TweakUI help?

(When installed click on Start, Settings, Control Panel and double-click TweakUI. Select the Repair tab in the Tweak UI dialog box. The default option is Rebuild Icons. Click the Repair Now button and Tweak UI will try to rebuild corrupt icons on your Desktop, Start menu, Taskbar, and in folders.)

11. Farbib

Farbib Corporal

After that, maybe try giving the explorer.exe process AboveNormal priority. Could that help? When the taskbar demonstrates this behavior, use CRTL-ALT-DEL, select Processes, right-click Explorer.exe, click Set Priority, try AboveNormal.

12. Evan Downing

Evan Downing Private E-2

I cannot find TweakUI, and the "baove normal" did not work o_O

13. Farbib

Farbib Corporal

14. Evan Downing

Evan Downing Private E-2

that does not seem to work... I see no TweakUI in the control panel. It is odd. o_O

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds