Battery Not Charging On Dell inspiron 1501

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DanLolley99, May 17, 2008.

1. DanLolley99

DanLolley99 Private E-2

My Battery Is Not Charging On Dell inspiron 1501 could it be the battery or couldt it be software on my pc as it started when i reinstaled windows

2. lcsmith39

lcsmith39 Private First Class

It's either your battery or the charging circuit inside the laptop. Windows has absolutely nothing to with it........

3. DanLolley99

DanLolley99 Private E-2

what could i do to fix it and is it any thing i have done

4. lcsmith39

lcsmith39 Private First Class

Highly doubtful that anything you did (unless you're REALLY abusive with your machine) caused your problem. Odds are your battery has croaked. You can either pony up to dell for a new one. Any chance the machine is still under warranty? You can also scout around on e-bay and see if you can find a deal.

5. DanLolley99

DanLolley99 Private E-2

not too sure on the warranty i know its under a year old

6. zal

zal Private E-2

This problem in most cases caused by windows power settings. Dell has a utility to fix this problem depending on your operating system. there is no fix available for 64 bit OS at DELL website but you can try the ones which are provided for 32 bit OS to see if it works. You need to make sure of having the latest BIOS update (http://support.dell.com/support/dow...dateid=-1&formatid=-1&source=-1&fileid=236967)
    and then reboot and install this utility: http://support.dell.com/support/dow...dateid=-1&formatid=-1&source=-1&fileid=248262

and restart again. this should work in most cases for windows vista and windows 7 (32 bit). Same stuff should be available for WIN XP here: http://support.dell.com/support/dow...abIndex=&scanSupported=True&scanConsent=False

Good luck

7. ballybally72

ballybally72 Private E-2

Hardware fix!

My battery was not charging but I have just now fixed it. The AC adaptor socket on the laptop (DELL STUDIO) has serveral pins inside it. The central two which pair up with the central pin from the ac adaptor plug had got push out of place. Using a biro lid I have pushed them back to centre (you will need to put your glasses on and have a bright light handy to see by) and now, after being at 0% for weeks my battery is charging - 10% as we speak.

There are 3 connections to the ac adaptor: outer ring, inner ring and central pin. The first two kept the machine running but the last seems to be vital to allowing the battery to charge. Perhapes someone knows why...?

12% now - yay!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds