Sound not working, even after installing the sound card through mother board.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NuB@Useast, Oct 8, 2005.

1. NuB@Useast

NuB@Useast Private E-2

Yup, I don't have a "Sound card chip" it's ono my motherboard so i'm installing it through the mother board disc. Unfortunetly it says it's installed but for some reason I don't hear anything. I've checked the settings everything seems to be fine. Help!

Edit, also it's not my speakers I don't think. It works on my other comp

2. Stubby

Stubby R.I.P. (September 3, 1949 - January 26, 2011)

Have enabled the onboard sound in the BIOS? I don't think it's enabled by default.

3. NuB@Useast

NuB@Useast Private E-2

I don't know, do you midn telling me how I can do that? guide me through the steps pls, thanks.

4. Stubby

I sure will try. However, I imagine that different MBs have different ways to getting to the BIOS, but here's what works on a Gigabyte board.
    Re-boot your machine. As your machine is re-booting, hold down the delete key. That should take you to a blue screen with a list of items. Using the arrow keys, highlight the heading 'intergrated peripherals.' Once there, use the arrow keys again and highlight 'onboard audio.' Besides the onboard audio it'll say either disabled, or auto. If it says disabled, use the page up, or page down keys until it says either 'enabled' or 'auto.' Once it is where you want it hit the esc key and then the F-10 key. It should then say "save to CMOS and exit." Make sure the letter 'Y' is highlighted. Hit enter and your machine will re-boot and, hopefully, your on board audio will be functional. Let me know how you make out!!! Good Luck!!!!

5. NuB@Useast

NuB@Useast Private E-2

Hmm, I appreciate your help. Unfortunetly I couldn't find 'Onboard Audio'. I wish I was as good as you guys, as much as I try and try to achieve my goals in my(i'm only 14 hoping to become a computer tech :) ) lol. If you can help me out some more with other bright ideas it would be great, thanks.

Edit,

after screwing around, I've found something under "Onboard PCI Device [Press Here]) when I press enter on that I see a AC97 AUDIO [ Enabled ]. I'm guessing it's enabled. hopefully this will help you and anyone else with more information on what's causing this problem.

6. Stubby

Okay, let's start from the top. Let's try this, go into the 'device manager' are there any yellow triangles besides ANY thing? If so, what? One more thing, is there, by chance, a PCI sound card installed on your machine? Let me know. BTW, sorry it took so long to get back to you, but being retired and disabled and having my 5 year old son running around, well need I say more? :)
    Hang onto your dream of being a computer tech and DO NOT get discouraged. You'll make it if you want it bad enough!!

7. NuB@Useast

NuB@Useast Private E-2

not a problem :)
    nothing yellow.

Under Sound, video and controllers eerythign seems fine.

PCI sound card, a sound card chip connected to the keyboard? this sound is on the main motherboard.

thx for the reply.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds