Can't get my "D" drive to work

Discussion in 'Software' started by yeshuwa9, Jan 4, 2004.

1. yeshuwa9

yeshuwa9 Private E-2

I'm computer illiterate and trying to learn. I am not sure where I can ask for help, but I'm going to give it a shot here. A few days ago I was using my "D" drive, it was working fine, now it wont even acknowledge there is a disk inserted. It says something about it has been locked. I am not smart enough to lock it deliberately so apparently I did this by accident and have no idea how to unlock it. Can anyone help me?

2. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

restart your computer that should unlock it

you can open as the computer is booting up

3. mr_flea

mr_flea First Sergeant

(if endiablado's fix didn't work:)
    What type of drive is it? cd? floppy? HDD? (Hard Disc Drive, not removable storage.)

4. yeshuwa9

yeshuwa9 Private E-2

Thank you for the info,,,I have rebooted several times since this happened and it still will not register anything in the drive.?:confused: It is a CD player...It just says no CD in "D" drive. If you know anything else I can try please let me know. But even if not I really want to thank you for trying.:D

5. yeshuwa9

yeshuwa9 Private E-2

Thank you for replying..but I still need help

It is my CD player. I had not used in before Christmas and I got a CD so I put it in. It played fine the first time I used it, then next day I went to play the CD and it says that there is no CD in the drive. Then I got this message saying that it was locked:confused: Thanks for your help. I am MOST appreciative as I said I am a complete computer idiot but I am trying to learn.

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

the drive won't open at all?

Does it open if you are on your cmos setup screen?

If not, the drive is dead, or there is no power to it.

7. zimpal

zimpal Private First Class

The drive has a light that should go on briefly during a reboot.
    In Windows you may be able to try this:
    1.Double click My Computer icon
    2.Right click on the D drive icon
    3.Click on Eject

8. mr_flea

mr_flea First Sergeant

wait, he said that he was playing a cd in it. Would that new content protection software do something like that?

9. yeshuwa9

yeshuwa9 Private E-2

+The drive opens it says it is locked by a utility disk...what is a utility disk?

10. yeshuwa9

yeshuwa9 Private E-2

He is a she...it says it is locked by a utility disk..I dont even know what a utility disk is.

11. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Not sure. What OS are you running?

12. yeshuwa9

yeshuwa9 Private E-2

I followed your instructions...the drive did eject but it still wont play the CD. It says it is locked by a utility disk. And the light does come on when I reboot, like it is scanning the Cd but can not read it or recognize that it is there.

13. yeshuwa9

yeshuwa9 Private E-2

Not to sound too stupid but what is an OS?

14. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Operating System :)

15. yeshuwa9

yeshuwa9 Private E-2

Oh...thanks...remember I said at the onset of this that I was completely computer iliterate. So what is a utility disk and why would it be locking by drive?

16. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

What is your operating system ;)

If unsure, go to start > run > winver

Click OK.

17. Wisewiz

Wisewiz Apprentice's Sorcerer

Yeshuwa, ...
    Do you have ANOTHER CD handy you could try in there? Remove the one that isn't recognized at all and put in a different one and press the close button, then double-click My Computer and see what the drive says about the CD in there.
    Just curious about whether this whole problem might be that one disc. It doesn't MATTER if you think it played before. Just try another one in there and see.

18. yeshuwa9

yeshuwa9 Private E-2

O.k. I did that...it stills says that the drive is locked by a disk utility. this is becoming quite a source of frustration for me. I dont even know what the heck a disk utility is.:confused:

19. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

:confused:

I'm a ghost, or invisible.

My question all along has been ignored...

20. yeshuwa9

yeshuwa9 Private E-2

I'm sorry:eek: ...it is windows millenium edition:)

21. Wisewiz

Wisewiz Apprentice's Sorcerer

Yesh,

What the heck are you using on that computer? Windows XP, Windows 98, Windows Me? WHAT? Inquiring Adrynalynes want to KNOW!

(Sorry. He was invisible. I'm redundant.)

22. yeshuwa9

yeshuwa9 Private E-2

Geeze..I'm sorry what I am pissin everybody off:D Just answer the question lady..huh? OK..it is windows Me. So now no one can be mad at me anymore. Does this help solve the problem?

23. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Windows ME :)

Hmmm, this might be the same as XP...might not.

Check to see what drivers load with the cd rom drive.

Go to Device manager, properties of the cd device, driver tab, driver details.

post what you have listed :)

Device Manager is accessible by right cliking my computer > Properties > Device Manager tab.

24. yeshuwa9

yeshuwa9 Private E-2

Where is the device manager:confused: ...ya know this might be alot easier if you guys just come to my house and fix this dang thing. I could drive you all nuts about this for a while:D

25. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

My Computer= an icon on your Desktop ;)

Looks like a, well, a computer ! :D :D

I mentioned above on how to get to Device Manager.

Hey, if you buy the plane tickets, I'll come down.

Gotta buy me and the wife dinner though ;)

26. yeshuwa9

yeshuwa9 Private E-2

Good Humor..that always helps. It is starting to look like plane tickets and dinner might be a better way to do this. Believe it or not I went to the device manger, that is a miracle itself...nothing says properties of CD device. I went to CDROM and then properties but there is no driver tab. Then I opened it and went to Matshita CDROM CR594. Underthe "general" tab there is says the device is working properly. Under the "properties"it is set on digital not analog, then the "driver"tab just says the driver is microsoft. :(

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds