Had to system restore after new installation - scanners wouldn't update

Discussion in 'Software' started by Learning As I Go, Jan 29, 2005.

1. Learning As I Go

Learning As I Go Sergeant

Finally, I can get out of the lounge and ask a real question.

I recently installed PhotoShop 7 on my computer. I set a restore point prior to installation just in case.

This morning, I realized that I haven't updated several scanners - so I started to do my updates.

The following is what occured:

Adaware SE - data couldn't be read - currupt.

Spybot S&D - No updates available (which I knew was false, because I saw the update listed on Main page for yesterday).

Spyware Blaster - Data corrupt.

A squared - Data corrupt.

Programs with auto-updates have been fine - namely: Avast and ZA.

So, I did a system restore. It wiped PS7, and all updates started working again (with the exception of Spybot S&D).

I ran full scans with A2 and Adaware - Nothing.

The Spybot S&D would only update a couple of entries. The rest said, "Bad Checksum!".

I have since gotten it to update 2 out of 3 of the previously problemed areas.

I am currently left with "Detection Rules" as the only one with "Bad Checksum!".

I have not reinstalled PS7, and I'll set another restore point before I do.

What happened? Can I reinstall PS7 again without going through this in the future? What does "Bad Checksum!" mean?

Thanks ahead for your assistance. Now, off to the arcade to await a response.

LAIGo

2. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

3. Learning As I Go

Yes,

That would seem to explain the Spybot issues, and why after multiple tries - the smaller files eventually downloaded.

Got any clues about the rest of my issues?

Thanks,

LAIGo

4. Learning As I Go

For those who were concerned, but not able to help:

I got it all worked out - everything is up and running. Thank you for your concern.

For those who could have helped, but didn't:

:p

LAIGo

5. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Did you reinstall PhotoShop 7? I was going to suggest it but didn't want to cause you more problems. ;)

Steve

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

What did you do to fix the problem?

7. Learning As I Go

Yes,

I ended up re-installing PS7.

I'm not 100% sure what I did that finally fixed the problem. I didn't apply what I know about troubleshooting (try one thing at a time - to find out what works).

I did the normal stuff, and after cleaning up the C-drive : I re-booted, set a restore point, and reinstalled PS7.

Steve was dead-on about SB S&D, after waiting a while (and after re-installing PS7) it updated with no problems. I'm assuming the others are fine, but as they were updated yesterday - I'll have to wait until later to be sure.

Thanks again for being concerned - I really do appreciate the support,

LAIGo

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds