Error while re-installing Windows ME

Discussion in 'Software' started by mfletcher35, Feb 21, 2005.

1. mfletcher35

mfletcher35 Private E-2

I was trying to re-install Windows ME on my Dell computer using the Dell Windows ME Re-installation CD. I had Norton Antivirus 2005 on this computer which in hindsight I probably should have removed before trying to re-install Windows ME. I got about halfway through the re-installation and got an error message that a file in Norton Antivirus 2005 was missing. It told me if this continues to try re-installing Norton Antivirus 2005.

Now here's the problem. Windows ME was only halfway re-installed, so my computer won't boot up. Well, I can only boot up in safe mode. I can't remove or re-install Norton Antivirus 2005 because my computer won't boot up and it won't let me do it in safe mode. If I try re-installing Windows ME again, I get the same error message halfway through.

Any suggestions on what I can do? As a last resort is there anyway I can enter a command in DOS to completely wipe everything off my hard drive and start from scratch?

Thanks,
    Mark

2. bjgarrick

bjgarrick MajorGeeks Admin - Malware Expert

If you want to format (clean install) then reinstall WindowME. Follow me below:

1) Boot from CD-ROM

2) Choose: Start Computer with CD-ROM Support

3) When the DOS screen comes up to A:\ type in the following:

First, type in D:\ (If your drive letter is different then replace D:\ with it.)

Second,, type in cd win9x

You should now be at D:\WIN9X

Third,, type in format c: /q (If you get an error, procede with unconditional format)

NOTE: After the format, you need to reboot. After your reboot, procede to the next set of steps.

First: Boot from CD-ROM

Second: Choose: Start Computer with CD-ROM Support

When the DOS screen comes up to A:\ type in the following:

First, type in D:\ (If your drive letter is different then replace D:\ with it.)

Second,, type in cd win9x

You should now be at D:\WIN9X

Third: Now type in setup /ie /is and procede thru setup

3. BLANCONIAMT

BLANCONIAMT Private E-2

Can the reinstallation be done with a windows reinstallation disk or do you have to have the original windows ME disk to do this. I have a Dell computer wtih ME on it and it needs to have a clean install done but not quite sure how to go about it. If the above will work for me, that is great.

4. bjgarrick

bjgarrick MajorGeeks Admin - Malware Expert

This should work for you as well. If it doesnt send me a PM and I will explain to you how to do it. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds