VPN Tunneling

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wormfarmer, Nov 6, 2005.

1. wormfarmer

wormfarmer Private E-2

I'm new to this bit,so help would be appreciated.

Using a Netcomm NB5Plus 4 port medem/Router to access the internet using Broadband over a home network. XP Pro Service Pack 2

We can access the internet on all three machines but when the wife tries to tunnel into work she can not access her work. She is using a program called "checkpoint".

Believe it will just be a setting in the router but am not sur enougth to go in and fiddle.

thanks

WF

2. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

I'm not 100% on this, but it should be a port forwarding issue. You'd have to forward the port the tunneling software is using to your wifes comp from the router.

3. wormfarmer

wormfarmer Private E-2

thanks Coco.

The port they are using is 433 which is the encryptic port for internet banking.

The wife's PC can access the internet and port 433 so am thinking towards something on her laptop.

We have turned of her firewall but still not allowed to tunnel.

Any more suggestions welcomed

4. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

Did you forward the port? Of course she can access the internet on port 433. Everyone can, that isn't what port forwarding does. Port forwarding makes it so that someone outside the network can get to a certain computer by using that port. Without port forwarding all she can do is send a request for a VPN but then the server she's connecting to can't establish a connection since it cannot reach her on port 433.

5. QuickSilver

QuickSilver Corporal

Is it using IPSec and is this installed on the laptop?

This can be easily checked by whether or not your wife could VPN in when not behind the router on the same machine... also does the router support IPSec - I believe most modern ones should now but I think some models do not...

6. wormfarmer

wormfarmer Private E-2

Ok that makes sence now explain in simple english what I have to do.

Do I do it from her machine or from the modem.

Sorry but this is a whole new ball game for me.

One thing I do like about forums is the knowledge you learn. I was in Darwin last week and a mates machine went down bad time and I was able to fix it from what I had learnt from the forums.

Thanks for your patience

7. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

You do it from the router itself. You'd login to the router and then find the port forwarding screen and forward port 433 to her internal IP address.

If you've never logged into the router before, you can most likely get to it by going to the address 192.168.0.1 in your browser.

8. J J

J J Corporal

9. wormfarmer

wormfarmer Private E-2

Thanks all, at the moment the wife has gone to New Caledonia for 10 days work. Will follow through on your advise when she returns and let you know how we went.

WF

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds