Need some distro advice.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Fred_G, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Well, I got my new hard drive in the old Dell Inspiron 600m laptop. So it is time for me to partition the 60G drive and do a dual xp/linux setup. I had Fedora core 5, I think, on it before the drive died a while back. And to be honest, I am horrible with the Linux, but I want to learn some about it. So here is where I hope my fellow Geeks can help me out.

I need to find a distro that will do the following: 1) run F@H 2) work with an Intel Pro 2100 wireless without a lot of work. I still do not know how I got it running in FC5! I have not kept up with the Linux distros that are out now, and need some help.

If it matters, the computer has 1GB RAM, a 1.5GHz Intel Banias CPU, and Radeon Mobility 9000 video. I would also like to ease into the CLI, so I would prefer something easy, but with the CLI options.

Thanks for your time.

E

2. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

If you really want to learn Linux, I would suggest Arch Linux. It's a build it a piece at a time distro but it has very good suppor with different guids and an excellent forum. You start with a basic install and build it from there by adding things like support for your wireless card and move on to a GUI and add sound, etc. It's actually quite easy if you follow their Beginners Guide.

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners_Guide

I've tried many other distros and have found this one to be the best as far as having the resources available to help me learn the OS instead of just giving me an install CD that may or may not work on my system.

3. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

That link is bookmarked now shnerdly. I need something a little simpler. The machine must fold soon after the install. I may put together an old puter and try that on it, looks very informative.

I have used Mandrivia (who came up with that name?), FC5, Ubunto (could not get folding running), and Mepis in the past, but the Fedora family seemed to fit me the best.

But I am open to suggestions, and thanks a lot for the link and info.

E

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Sabayon 3.3

www.sabayonlinux.org

You arent going to have a lot of fun in Linux I don't think, ATI support is extremely poor. Sabayon has been very good to me though.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2007
  5. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I had not heard that about Linux and ATI Adrynalyne. I have had at least 5 distros on the laptop in the past, and the only problem I had was the wireless card. On one of my folders, I have used a Radeon 9250, 9800XT with no problems. Guess I got lucky! I will check out the Sabayonlinux also. Thanks for the info.

E

6. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

Fred G,

If you are simply wanting to test, and not learn about how to set up Linux, you could try one of the many scripts. Automatix is one that comes to mind. Again not a work around of every distro, but may work on your ATI card that is a bugger to config.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds