FTP or VPN? Which to use for this

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zapp, Nov 1, 2011.

1. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

Gang I could use some practical advice here.
    We have a very simplistic need for a lawyer to be able to map a remote file server, or otherwise connect to it. Mainly, he will just be remote, open WordPerfect, browse up a file somehow, and go to work on it.
    I'm wondering whether using Filezilla or something similar to setup his directory at the office with FTP access is best, or should I setup a VPN?

The fileserver is basically pretty dumbed down - it is nothing but a pair of mirrored drives on a raid controller that just sits, gathers dust, and hosts the file store which is not really big, and none of the individual client files are really big.
    A typical file might be 4MB tops - the younger files are smaller. On a given weekend or trip, he may need at most 20 of them, one at a time, work on them, close them, and have them lock/save etc properly.

What's your advice?

2. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

or, can I use SkyDrive, Google Docs, or other freebie 'cloud' enticements and somehow map this service as a 'normal' network drive?

3. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

I'd look for a service. You could set up an FTP & use a client like NetDrive to map the FTP as a drive. But last time I had a FTP up it was getting hits from China 24/7. Someone trying to hack the server. Filezilla does have rules you can put offending IPs in a block list or move the port to another number. But that will not stop the traffic from the ones trying.

So set it up and watch the logs & see if you feel safe with it.

4. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

by "service" do you mean one of the modern [i hate the moniker] "cloud" issues?

5. techsent

techsent Corporal

setup vpn and map drives on his machine to the file server shares.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds