HP OfficeJet & Windows 2000 Server

Discussion in 'Software' started by jldodge, Sep 7, 2004.

1. jldodge

jldodge Private First Class

I have an OfficeJet G85xi that worked fine on a Windows NT 4.0 Server using the parallel connection. I have now upgraded to Windows 2000 Server Pro and I cannot get the computer to "see" the printer. I have downloaded the updated drivers, etc. and that does not seem to help. Does anyone have any suggestions???

P.S. HP Technical Support indicated that the G85xi won't work with Windows 2000 Server. I find that hard to believe since it worked with NT Server.

Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance ...

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

2000 and NT are very different in the way they implement driver support. Loading an NT4 driver on windows 2000 may not work if you're able to install them at all. If HP says it won't work, then there's a pretty good chance that you're s.o.l. and might have to pony up for a newer printer. You can TRY other drivers from related HP printer products, but there is NO guarantee that they'll work sufficiently.
    I used to do this with newer HP Laser jets and software that needed HP LaserJet III drivers, but the new printers don't cope well with those any more.
    Good Luck.

3. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

4. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

Looks like your HP rep lied..

5. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Or was too lazy to look at his own companie's website. :rolleyes:

And IMX if Windows 2000 Server doesnt come with a driver, and there isnt one specifically for it available its probably not going to work. 2003 is worse (XP drivers on 2k3 server NOT a pretty sight)

6. jldodge

I have already tried that "software upgrade" and it will not load!!!! What is puzzling is that I had it working fine on Windows NT Server 4.0 and it won't work on Windows 2000 Server. I understand about drivers and have tried that route as well .... No luck!

Any other suggestions or experiences I can compare with ... I obviously don't have a "common" problem here ...

Thanks again ...

7. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

can you elaborate on "will not load".. does it give you an error message?

8. jldodge

The error message I receive indicates that I have the wrong operating system for the upgrade. My only option is "OK" at which point it exits the installation process and closes the window.

There is nothing I can find on the HP site which addresses this outcome. I would expect there to be a specific reference to the fact that the HP G85xi does not work on Windows 2000 Server. Since there is no "minimum system requirements" reference, I am led to believe that it will work with the right drivers/program modification. I just cannot figure out how to trouble shoot. HP has not been helpful. For that matter, they never have been based on previous experience.

Any help would be appreciated ...

9. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

What service pack are you running?

I find this hard to believe, there is no restriction on HP's website that says it will not work on Server. Matter of fact most "Print Server's" are running WIN2K Server. What is the exact error you get, word for word please?

Can the Epson be plugged in via USB?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds