A Frustrated Newbie

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by JackTheTripper1, May 26, 2012.

1. JackTheTripper1

JackTheTripper1 Private E-2

In my years of surfing the internet, I think I've ended up here maybe two or three times before now, and always randomly. But now I'm here because- thanks to a perfect storm of computer issues that kept me from noticing at the time- I've ended up infected with the partner37 malware. This place, and maybe two other sites, are the only places where I've seen solid instruction on how to remove the infection. But I have to say, reading the one thread I saw here where a guy got help removing partner37 from his computer had me feeling weak in the knees halfway down the first of three pages- I am extremely bad with computers, and I am terrified I'm going to royally ruin my netbook trying to fix it.

So I guess the main point is that I'm terrified, terrified of how much of my personal data could be compromised right now, terrified of being unable to purge my computer of the infection, terrified of breaking my computer trying to fix it, and feeling so in over my head it's making me physically ill. It doesn't help that it's midnight here and I'm beginning to feel highly fatigued.

Once I get done with the basic steps outlined in the tutorials and such in the forums, I'll see if I can't get some help, but I just don't know if I'll be capable of fixing my computer. :(

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi and welcome

Malware is a sneeky sort of thing and what works for another use with a specific malware type may not actually work for others, as all in one anti-malware apps just do not always find the extent of the infection, this is where human experts in the malware removal field come in.

So to this end I would advise you to run the below as written:

Then our malware experts here will be able to talk you through how to remove this malware fully.

3. JackTheTripper1

JackTheTripper1 Private E-2

Posting in here one last time just because I'm not sure if my situation currently calls for continued guidance.

I did everything in the 'Redirection/Hijacking Problems' guide, that seemed to work out fine. Went through the rest of the cleanup guide just in case- SuperAntiSpyware found nothing, Malwarebytes found nothing, ComboFix and MGtools worked fine... But RootRepeal would not run.

Should I still open up a thread seeking help, or give it a week or two and see if anything happens before doing such?

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Yes open a thread always if you suspect malware as while not all tests may run, the ones that do will likely link to malware to allow our malware experts to help you to remove anything found.

Strike malware suspects always as never know if you use your PC for finanical or shopping transactions and these are the items malware target, so if you suspect malware always get it checked out and we ahev some of the best malware removal experts on the internet, and not just saying this as I'm a admin here but as myself and Chaslang (Charlie) who deals with malware here are both Microsoft MVPs in our areas of Windows and Malware/Security.

So we like others here on Majorgeeks are tech users and professionals who give back to the community to help others make the most of computing in a safe enviroment.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds