Good Free Photo editor recommendations?

Discussion in 'Software' started by jf38081, Aug 1, 2006.

1. jf38081

jf38081 Private E-2

But it gets worse. It needs to run on Windows ME w/128 MB ram. Got any ideas? Except upgrading. He just bought the machine in 2004 from Dell! I can't believe Dell was still selling this in 2004... but I digress.

I turned him onto gimp, but it won't run on ME. And picasa doesn't have enough features... Any other ideas? In fact even if its not free, it might work if we can try it before purchase.

Thanks a million!
    Jim

2. Robert

Robert Sergeant

Irfan Viewer has quite a few fundamental editing features plus a host of other goodies that will work in his computer. Freeware almost certainly available here at MG.
    Cheers
    Robert

3. Allochthonous

Allochthonous Corporal

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2006
  4. fishfool59

fishfool59 Private E-2

Will that machine even run windows ME and other software at the same time with that much ram?

I hope he gave less than $200 for that machine.

5. Allochthonous

Allochthonous Corporal

Windows ME should run fine on 128mb. It only requires 32mb according to MS. (or was that a joke?)

Are you SURE he bought it in 2004? Was it NEW from Dell or maybe refurb? I find it very hard to believe that they sold a new system with ME installed in 2004.

PK

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Also you could try XNView

but also check out the other listed graphic apps we list here http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads37.html you may find a nice one for that PC, with all the functions your friend wants.

7. jf38081

jf38081 Private E-2

And the worst part.. PC800! It has two 64 MB sticks of PC800 in it. Why would they even make a 64mb stick of PC800... Its almost cheaper to buy a new computer than to upgrade this one! Stinkin' Dell...

(thanks for the great links everyone, by the way!)

8. theefool

theefool Geekified

9. DavidGP

Original post mentions the Gimp no worky with Windows ME.. mate ;) ( your homemade moonshine must be potent ;) )

As for PC800 its Rambus and was seriously expensive when first released and still is now.. you can buy a small country for what 1gb would cost! as RDRAM or Rambus technology, is dual running ram ( similar to Dual DDR ) it needs to be installed in exact pairs to run, hence those 2x 64mb modules to make 128mb, cost thing I guess as they couldnt pop 1x 128mb module in as the PC wouldnt boot, they would have needed to add another 128mb module to make the pair up.

10. greenknight32

greenknight32 Sergeant

From the "GIMP for Windows" page: "The GIMP should run on Windows 98/ME/NT4/2000/XP. It is recommended to use an NT-based version of Windows (NT4, 2000 or XP)". So it will work, but maybe not real well.

11. DavidGP

Yeah greenknight, but I kinda got the impression in the 1st post it was tried and didnt work with the low ram in that PC.... but still if they didnt actually install it it maybe worth a go.

12. jf38081

jf38081 Private E-2

Yup. We tried the gimp but ran into this (copied from the gimp faq):

"I'm trying to install Gimp 2.0 on Windows 9x/ME, and the installer informs me, that my operating system is no longer supported. What should I do?

Ideally, you should upgrade to Windows 2000 or newer. Otherwise, you can install The Gimp on Win9x/ME anyway, but don't complain if something doesn't work as expected, unless you're ready to fix the code yourself."

It might happen if there is an older version of gimp floating around somewhere....

J

13. greenknight32

greenknight32 Sergeant

Yah, like I said, it might not work real well.

14. jf38081

jf38081 Private E-2

In fact, I don't think it would let me install. It might have been the gtk libraries that couldn't handle ME

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds