HP Recovery Console

Discussion in 'Software' started by blkittygirl, Nov 17, 2006.

1. blkittygirl

blkittygirl Private First Class

Hi All,
    My computer's HP Recovery console is low on memory. It needs to have 15% free to defrag and it has only 13%. Two or three days ago it was at 14%. I don't understand this because I thought that it was supposed to remain as is and not store other info as time passes. Is there a way to delete some things so that I could have it back to the 15%. I don't know exactly what I need and don't need. Can anyone help me?
    Bev

2. Higara7

Higara7 Private E-2

How many days of recovery are you allowing it to restore. By erasing some days, and commanding a stricter 1 or 2 week recovery possible, you should get the space you need. How much space do you got on your recovery?(capacity?) If this doesn't work, there is always something usefull you could download, to get that drive some space freed up.

3. BCGray

BCGray Guest

I guess my first question is are you talking about the seperate drive that HP has, called "Recovery Console" our are you talking about "Windows" System restore. The HP recovery console should stay static, as it has all the original programs that came installed from HP, thus no "Back-up" CD's............Post back and let us know.

4. blkittygirl

I'm definitely talking about HP Recovery Console, not System Restore.

5. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Thats what I thought Bev, HP leaves little head room on the Recovery console HD, simply because it is suppose to be a default back-up if your system crashes, so exactly why or what is writing to that drive eludes me, can you go into the drive and see if any current files have been written to it?

6. blkittygirl

There are 4 files that are log and txt files. None are very large, the largest being 18kb, but why are they written there? They were written on the 10th of this month. Very odd wouldn't you say.

7. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Yea that is weird all right Bev, the only thing that I can think of is the HP connection interface that might be accessing that recovery console, or worse malware, might want to do a scan of that HD if you haven't already??

That HD has little headroom so small files will make a difference, you might want to write them to a CD, then try deleting them from you HD and see what happens................If you make a boot copy of your restore console(the option is there just can't remember were) you can reformat that HD and use it as an albeit small back-up drive. That is what I did after getting rid of all the rest of the HP stuff.

8. blkittygirl

I had done a scan of that hd and came up clean as a whistle. So, I just went into the windows file on there and removed some files (eg. fonts) and then did the defrag and replaced them after it was done. Seemed to go just fine. What do you think. I hope I didn't make problems down the road for myself.
    Bev

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds