Can't Find Temporary Internet Files

Discussion in 'Software' started by Kay Three, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Kay Three

Kay Three Private E-2

Have Acer w/ XP. Don't remember what version and can never remember how to look it up. Was playing with Recuva recently found via TulsaWorld.com/KomandoNews. Recuva said the item was in C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temporary Settings. When I went C:\Docu... as above, and opened Local Settings, which I had to unhide, there is no Temporary Internet Files folder, normal or hidden. Any idea why Recuva says it is there but it doesn't appear there? This issue is more curiosity then need but I would like to solve the mystery. All ideas, suggestions and comments anyone would care to offer will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, K.

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, Kay Three.

Try this: click Start, Control Panel, Internet Options, 'General' tab. In the Browsing History section, click the 'Settings' button. In the window that comes up, 'Current location:' shows where IE saves temporary files, regardless of what Recuva tells you. Also from this window you can click on the 'View Files' button and Windows Explorer will open at that location.

3. Kay Three

Kay Three Private E-2

Thanks Caliban for considering and responding to my post. Apparently I'm not doing something right or maybe not properly understanding what's going on. Your suggestion of "Start, Control Panel..." was great, did just exactly as you described. From that screen I can even view what is in Temporary Internet Files. That's nice to know about. The path described in every screen I look at is C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files. The mystery is when I go Start - My Computer - Local Disc (C) - Documents and Settings folder - Administrator folder - Local Settings folder which is a hidden file, there is no Temporary Internet Files folder in the Local Settings folder. Any idea of what I'm doing wrong to not find a Temporary Internet Files folder in the Local Settings folder like every screen says should be there? Is there 2nd Show Hidden Files radio button? Thanks, Appreciate the Help. K.

4. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Recuva is not looking at what Explorer sees, it's looking below that level.

If you want to see that file, you first have to set Recuva to recover it (preferably to a place on a different drive, to prevent it ovewriting something else you may want to recover), once that's done, it becomes a 'real' file again and accessible via Explorer.

5. Kay Three

Kay Three Private E-2

Thanks satrow, appreciate your taking time to respond to my post. Before discovering Recuva, I never looked for my Temporary Internet Files folder. You did a marvelous job of answering the question I asked, but sadly my communication skills are enough lacking that I didn't ask the question I wanted to ask - Why can't I find my Temporary Internet Files folder thru My Computer? Actually all this is really kinda silly. Until downloading Recuva I had no interest in finding my Temporary Internet Files folder, and even if I find it now, I have nothing to do with it when I get there, it's just... become an unscalable mountain. AARGH! Again, Thanks, I really appreciate the help. K

6. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Basically because by default, the folder is hidden from view (and not really in the location that Explorer shows). The easiest method to view your 'tif's' is by Start > Run and typing in "%userprofile%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files" (without the " ") then pressing Enter or clicking OK.

Wikipedia has some details but the full picture is very complicated.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds