Sylvania 7” Netbook

Discussion in 'Software' started by bbpathd1, Nov 15, 2010.

1. bbpathd1

bbpathd1 Private First Class

Yesterday my husband bought the Sylvania netbook advertised by CVS. Does anyone know anything about this item?

It has Windows CE as OS and just 128 MB memory. It has built-in Wi-Fi and an Ethernet port and 3 USB ports.

After charging it up and turning it on, my first thought was how do I protect it on the internet? Is Windows CE susceptible to viruses and spyware like Win XP? Is there any antivirus or firewall to put on it? And how do I back up the whole thing, so if something should go wrong, I could start all over fresh?

It’s a cute little netbook. I hope someone can tell me what to do with it.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

3. ozzy1471

ozzy1471 Private E-2

how do you put windows ce back on a sylvania synet07526 i have tryed everthing i need help

4. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

You cannot. It is what is called an "Embedded OS".

5. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Ozzy, please start your own thread.

You can factory reset the OS on one. There is a small hole which has a microswitch which has to be pressed for at least ten seconds.

As far as any BIOS access, or booting Linux from an SD card, don't expect for it to happen.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I found this

7. BearPup

BearPup Private E-2

Those things are still being sold 4 years later! Did anyone respond to your query of what to do with it? I'm asking as I'm thinking of buying one.

8. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Anything with only 128MB of memory is ancient. I've seen real Windows 8.1 15.6" notebooks (2GB DDR3, 320GB HDD) at two major retailers recently under $200 new.

Don't get me wrong. I like CVS...although I feel about as comfortable buying computer equipment there as I would haveing a prescription filled at Best Buy. :-D

9. BearPup

BearPup Private E-2

What I'm looking for is a very small device (10" max) for note taking at meetings, email, and occasional internet downloading. These Sylvania machines are available new for $50 on eBay.

10. bbpathd1

bbpathd1 Private First Class

I had problems connecting to Wi-Fi and decided the memory was too little so we took it back to CVS and got a refund.
    As you can see there were only a few responses to my original post.
    Surprised this thread was resurrected after so many years, but, yes, I have seen the item for sale online recently.
    Today an Android tablet might be an alternative choice.

11. BearPup

BearPup Private E-2

Thanks for replying. I finally found what I was looking for. A refurbished Dell Latitude 2100. Its a netbook, 10.1", with 2 GB RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium, and a 60 GB hard drive. Those and a few other features cost me $110 + $25 for a 2 year repair warranty.

Stumbled across this site doing a Dogpile Search: Refurbees.com . I'm a very satisfied customer having a real computer for the price of an Android. I had actually tried an Android tablet but didn't like it at all - no ability to program it to do what I wanted it to, just stuck with the apps and whatever their limitations are.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds