Copying Large Files to USB Flash Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by beedawg, Jan 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beedawg

beedawg Private E-2

I'm unable to copy files larger than about 100 MB to my USB flash drives on one of my computers. I have four different flash drives. They all give me the same problem on my "main" computer, and none of them give me this problem on my second computer. Both are Dell OptiPlex GX270 running Windows XP. The "main" computer was recently (~three weeks ago) given a new hard drive and a fresh install of Windows XP. I don't recall whether this problem showed up immediately after the install, but I don't think it did. I don't think it showed up until about a week ago.

I can transfer files of 100 MB or less to any of the flash drives without a problem. If I try to copy a file larger than that, I get an error message.

The typical error message is "Can't copy [file name]; the path is too deep," although I've also had an error message that said something about a Windows I/O error and another one that said "Cannot copy [file name]: Cannot find the specified file. Make sure you specify the correct path and file name."

I've tried copying files from the root of the internal hard drive to the root of the flash drive without success. I tried each of the USB ports without success.

Any USB port will work to copy files to a USB external hard drive with no problem. I can also copy files of any size FROM any flash drive to either the internal or external hard drive.

I've tried changing the default "Optimized for quick removal" setting to "Optimize for performance", and I've tried formatting the flash drive from FAT32 to NTFS. Neither of these fixed the problem.

I've tried uninstalling as many of the USB-related drivers as possible and restarting in order to reinstall the drivers. I've run a CHKDSK on my C: drive.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

I would say you have covered all of your bases. What is really weird is you can copy from the USB to the hard drive. What happens if you disable your antivirus and firewall? Also change to System Cache in performance settings and see if that works. Is the hard drive in the computer a SATA drive?

I do not think it is hardware related. You can double check by using Puppy linux to copy the files over and see if there is a problem.

http://help.artaro.eu/index.php/windows-xp/troubleshooting-xp/recover-files-from-hard-disk-xp.html

3. beedawg

beedawg Private E-2

Thanks, tgell! I'll try Puppy linux, if I can figure it out. The idea is that if I can copy big files under another OS, that rules out any hardware problems, right?

I really appreciate the advice and suggestion.

Brent

4. tgell

I did read where a person had to lower the speed of their SATA drive via a jumper to resolve the problem. That is why I asked if you put in a new SATA drive or ATA drive when you replaced the drive. Other than that, I am not sure what it could be.

If possible try lowering the speed of the SATA drive to 1.5GB/s and see if that works.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA

Did you try changing to System Cache in Performance settings to see if that worked?

5. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi Beedawg,

XP Total Paths are limited to 88 Characters. Don't know about Vista and above. Try reducing the path by renameing Folder names and/or files names and see what happens. Just had the exact same thing with downloaded Gateway drivers. MAYBE?

Good Luck, Jim

6. beedawg

beedawg Private E-2

Sorry to be so slow at getting back. I've really appreciated the prompt replies.

I did disable antivirus (Avast) and firewall (ZoneAlarm) but that didn't make a difference.

I changed to System Cache in Performance Settings. I also changed my virtual memory setting from a custom setting of 3069MB to the system managed size of 2046MB. No difference.

I haven't tried Puppy Linux yet.

7. beedawg

beedawg Private E-2

Thanks, Jim. I tried moving a 644MB file named J from C: to E: That ought be within the 88 character limit, right? (C: is my main internal hard drive, and E: is a new Kingston 16GB Data Traveler 108.)

"Cannot copy J. The path is too deep."

8. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Just as a quick experiment open a command prompt and try to copy the file. See if it completes.

copy c:\j e:\j

9. beedawg

beedawg Private E-2

My command prompt copy attempt yields an alert dialog (I think that's what it's called) with this:

"The specified I/O operation on \Device\Harddisk2\DR8 was not completed before the time-out period expired."

In the command prompt window:

The semaphore timeout period has expired.
    0 files copied.

I have Puppy Linux burned to CD. I'll try booting from that CD and copying the file named J to a flash drive now.

Thanks, again, for all the help and advice.

10. beedawg

beedawg Private E-2

I apologize for not answering this sooner. The new hard drive is a SATA drive. The one it replaced is a SATA as well, although it may have been limited to 1.5 Gbit/s.

I just used Puppy Linux to copy the 644MB file from the root of the boot drive to the flash drive. That proves that my problem isn't hardware related, right? Or do I misunderstand?

11. tgell

Yep, I would say the problem is XP related if you did it with Puppy. Got to love that program. :)

The USB controller in XP may be corrupted. Or XP cannot cope with the extra speed of the SATA drive if it is not set to 1.5 GB/s but I cannot confirm that. Are there any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager?

12. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi BeeDawg,

That's length as in the Names of the folders and files.

More Luck, Jim

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  13. beedawg

beedawg Private E-2

There are no exclamation marks in Device Manager.

I finally looked up the specs on my hard drive. It's a Western Digital WD5000AAKX. That's a 6 Gb/s interface. I think your Wikipedia link said a jumper between 5 and 6 would slow it down, but I'm checking at WD support right now.

14. beedawg

beedawg Private E-2

Got it, Jim. I was trying to transfer a file called J from the root of my C: drive to the root of the flash drive, E:

If I understand path notation, the path to the original file would be C:\J and the path to the copied file would be E:\J

15. beedawg

beedawg Private E-2

I jumpered it (which only slows it to 3.0Gb/s), and tried transferring a 500MB file, which failed. "The path is too deep" error again.

I tried the command-prompt copy, too, and got "The specified I/O operation on \Device\Harddisk2\DR3 was not completed before the time-out period expired" error again.

16. tgell

17. beedawg

beedawg Private E-2

Thanks. Although it didn't fix it, it was worth a try.

I also did an "Update Driver..." for each of the USB controllers and USB Mass Storage Device drivers in Device Manager. When the wizard came up, I denied permission to use Windows Update, I chose "Install from a list or specific location," and I picked "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install." I wanted to install drivers from the XP CD, but I couldn't find their location on the disk. (I realize they're probably packed into other files and not visible to the wizard.) But in most cases, I had an Intel (by Microsoft) controller and a Standard Universal controller, and I chose the Intel driver in each case.

Anyway, running that wizard again, I see a third driver installed for each controller. The new one has Intel listed as the "Driver Provider." I'm guessing they're the same as the ones provided by Microsoft, but at least now I know I've replaced those drivers with new copies. So I don't think corrupted driver files could be the cause, although the only thing I really know is that I can usually be wrong.

I also know that I've already spent an inordinate amount of time on a computer that isn't worth $100, and I haven't fixed a thing. Computers do that to me. When I'm able to fix something like this, I feel really important. ;)

18. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

This wouldn't be a fix and I'm not entirely sure it works outside of Window's copy command, which doesn't seem to be working for you, but it might be worth a quick try to see if it can complete the copy. I don't know what it would mean in terms of USB driver or SATA speed but I am curious if it would work.

You can choose the standalone version so you aren't installing anything to test it. http://www.roadkil.net/program.php?ProgramID=29&Action=NewOSID&DownloadVersion=5&Installer=NO

19. beedawg

beedawg Private E-2

I tried it twice with a 1.3 GB file. Neither attempt completed. It gives me some insight to what's happening, though. Copying starts out fine, but at some point in the process, it stops writing. It waits for up to a minute or so, and then starts reading until it finishes, but it never resumes writing.

First attempt yielded 1380 successful reads and 565 successful writes.
    Second attempt yielded 1380 successful reads and 131 successful writes.

That probably doesn't put me any closer to fixing it, but maybe it gives someone else an idea. I'm open to trying stuff as I have time.

I appreciate all the thoughts and suggestions!

20. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi again Beedawg,

My comments were in response to your comment in your first post Error Message "Can't copy [filename] the path is too deep. Your path name is certainly not too deep (long) with only one character in folder and filename. Don't have any other ideas at this time.

More good Luck, Jim

21. beedawg

beedawg Private E-2

I may never know if if would have helped. That computer has been retired after ruining three HDDs in about a year. That seems like too many to be a coincidence, and the computer wasn't worth much (Dell GX270 with many hours on it) so I stripped everything of value from it just yesterday.

Thanks for the suggestion, though!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds