LAPTOP HELP PLEASE. touch pad doesnt work.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sephiroththepure, Sep 2, 2007.

1. sephiroththepure

sephiroththepure Private E-2

I'm having a similar problem, only this one is self inflicted.

I have a brand new Toshiba Satellite A215. I just got a new USB mouse to use with it, so I wanted to disable the touch pad (since I kept accidentally touching it and messing up whatever I was doing). Well, after about an hour of wandering through the different settings and such looking for the touch pad's disabling option, I found it. Completely by accident, as I was about to give up.

Here's my problem: I forgot how I did it.

So now, I'm unable to use the mouse unless I have a usb mouse plugged in. While this isn't a major problem (I'm pretty decent at navigating with just the keyboard), it is getting extremely annoying when I just want to do something simple, or don't have a good surface to use my laser mouse on.

I'm running windows vista home premium. Anyone who can help, I would appreciate it very much.

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Hi. Welcome to MGs.:)

Just for future reference, you should start a new thread when you have a question you need answered rather than posting it in one someone else started.

As far as your mouse, you should be able to go into your control panel and click on the mouse icon to access your touchpad controls.

3. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

Go to your touch pad options there is a check box that allows your touchpad to be disabled when a usb mouse is plugged in. ed

4. sephiroththepure

sephiroththepure Private E-2

Thanks, a friend recommended I come here for answers. Oh, and sorry about that...I wasn't sure, and since I found a topic similar to my problem, I thought I'd post my question here.

As for the control panel, I tried that. I can access the settings for the touchpad, but I can't find the lock/unlock option. Here's a screenshot.

I went to start > Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Mouse. I then clicked on the Advanced Tab, and clicked on Advanced feature settings, which brought up the window to the right in the screenshot. What you see there is what I got. The only things in the Others tab is "Use Sound feedback", and "display icon in taskbar".

If no one knows what to do, that's fine, but I hope someone can give me an answer...especially since Microsoft doesn't seem to be able to. Thanks for any and all help or ideas.

Note: do you think uninstalling and then reinstalling the touchpad drivers would work? I don't want to do that if it'll mess something up. thanks.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2007
  5. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

In the bottom right corner of your screen, there will be a icon that represents your touchpad, either double click or right click to open the optitions. ed PS Toshiba i think has a app recovery optition, look in the toshiba programs in your start- programs. You can reinstall your touchpad drivers and get it back working.

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Moved all posts to new thread, from the other thread as in 2005 Windows Vista was not available so route to fix maybe different, its alwyas best to start a new thread on a topic and maybe link to th eolder one if its relevent, mainly as your issue maybe completly different and need different steps to fix, but also to not have two questions being asked which may have differing answers, this could cause the problem of following the wrong advice and thus may lead to you having more issues than when you started.

Just some tips and Welcome to the Forum.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds