email password

Discussion in 'Software' started by N84Christ, Feb 1, 2009.

1. N84Christ

N84Christ Private First Class

I am having some trouble with email password. I never had a password before. Fairpoint bought out verizon and when i changed to server info it keeps poping up a need for a password. I went to accounts and it does not show a password. Can anyone help. Thanks.

2. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

What program are you using for an email client?:):)

3. N84Christ

Sorry about that. Computer is an XP and mail is outlook express

4. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

You've been using an email account that doesn't require a password? You're kidding, right? I've never heard of an email account that does not require a password; that's just standard procedure. The obvious reason is security: you don't want just anybody to be able to access your email, do you?

So, Fairpoint is your ISP now, right? Contact them about this.

5. N84Christ

Thank you for your reply. As for security, everyone that uses my laptop can be given access. The fairpoint is my isp. They just bought out verizon. I have 2 other computers and they access the mail fine. I recently fix the tower that I am having problems with the email issues. So I do not know if part of the reg was effected. but i matched the proprties from the other laptops, to no avail. Thanks

6. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Did you not use a password with Verizon, also? When Fairpoint became your ISP, how did you initially change your email account settings? Did you make changes in Outlook Express, in other words, set up the new email account? Did you receive instructions from Fairpoint for setting up your new email account?

7. N84Christ

i never use a password. And I set up the accounts just like the laptops. I have not used this computer in 5 years. I copied the account info and transposed it to the tower. but everytime i go to the mail it keeps asking me for a password. When I had the computer working before I did not use a password then either.

8. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

I suspect you've been using a password all along, you just don't know it. How could this be? Well, your password was saved in outlook express. Therefore, you were never prompted to enter your password.

Again, I know of no respectable email service that would not require passwords. So, I believe you need to contact Fairpoint and find out how to setup your email account. I visited Fairpoint's website and I sure did not see much in the way of support there. So, good luck.

By the way, you might try Google's Gmail service. It can be setup for POP mail, meaning you can use Outlook Express with it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds