No options in IE under advanced options

Discussion in 'Software' started by Moodyblue, Jun 28, 2004.

1. Moodyblue

Moodyblue Private E-2

Hope someone can help. I've been all over the web joining forums, and I've searched the Microsoft database. <sigh> New pc I've had 3 months. HP Pavilion 2.16 AMD Athlon XP Processor, 512 MB DDR SDRAM with XP Home. Have 2 problems. I have no check boxes to check in Tools>Internet Options>Advanced or any of the other settings there. My second problem is that I cannot keep an internet connection. I have done all the obvious things like changing phone lines, changing settings, removing connections, reinstalling connections. I will be downloading mail (with OE) and a message will pop up saying my ISP has terminated my connection, but the icon in the system tray will say I'm still connected. I even bought a little program that monitors your connection so you're never disconnected. It even says I'm still connected, but I won't be able to download mail or browse the web. Please, does anyone have any answers?

Moodyblue

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

have you scanned for viruses/adware/spyware recently?

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

is it just the email thats cutting off your connection or can it be random at anytime while surfing any WWWs?

IF only when checking/downloading mail then just make sure OE is not set to hang up once finished sending/recieving mail....... open OE > Tools > Options > Connection and untick "hang up after sending recieving"

as for the Advanced tab info being blank...... this may help http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/IEBlank.htm however I have not used this fix as I have not come across that issue before, BUT I have used some of the info on that site before without problems, usual warning about backing up applies when using or editing the regisrtry.

I would suspect as Kodo said above this has been removed due to a virus or spyware... disconnections if you are on dialup are some symptoms of spyware or virii.

4. Moodyblue

Moodyblue Private E-2

Thank you for your replies. Answers to questions:

Going through the control panel to IE options gives me the same thing....no options.

Not the email alone. It can be random any time.

The hang up after receiving box is not checked. Makes no difference.

I update my anti virus software daily. I scan for spyware with Ad-aware Pro. I just performed an online scan with Panda.

Any more ideas??????

5. Moodyblue

Moodyblue Private E-2

I went to this site. It offers a registry repair if a certain key is missing. I am not missing these keys in my registry. Any more ideas, please?? :~) Thanks.

Moodyblue

6. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

That reg key has many subkeys, each with many values. Just try the regfix.

For your call dropping problem, try Connection Keeper.

7. BlueStar50

BlueStar50 Private E-2

As for the connection problem, check the configuration for your modem to make sure it's not set to disconnect if idle for more than (so many) minutes. OE also has a timeout thing. Select Tools>Accounts>Mail>(select account and redo for each if more than one)>Properties button. Advanced tab, server timeouts, move the bar to the far right so it says 5 minutes. There are a few more settings like this which your ISP should be able to help you troubleshoot.
    You might want to change a network setting (so it will be reconfigured) which sometimes helps with connection problems. My ISP has me change the host: (name) under TCP/IP and to let it reconfigure and after restarting sometimes things have cleared up. If you haven't done this before have them on the phone before trying it.

8. Moodyblue

Moodyblue Private E-2

I did the registry fix. It didn't fix it. :~( In reply to the other message....I've done all those things with my ISP. I'm beginning to think there are no answers. Thanks to everyone for trying to help. It is greatly appreciated.

9. BlueStar50

BlueStar50 Private E-2

E for effort. I had a similar thing happen in W95 about not being able to stay connected (maybe even the IE advanced tab, been several years ago). ISP trouble shooting I suggested failed to help and I had to re-install the OS. Before this I had tried a program that was suppose to improve my connection which I had gone back to the original setting supposively and uninstalled. From there I could get on for a few minutes (later seconds) before I was disconnected. I tried uninstalling the modem and reinstalling it and nothing worked until I re-installed the OS again.

"It even says I'm still connected, but I won't be able to download mail or browse the web." Now I have had this happen since then (even in W98SE) and changing a network host name and restarting the computer so it will re-calculate the network has fixed it. As far as XP goes I don't know, but this use to happen kind of often for several months, but it hasn't happened in over a year now. When this happened though I wouldn't get disconnect, it just appeared I was online via the modem lights flashing & data being sent/recieved (I even could get to the ISP site sometimes, but no others sites or get email in). If I recall right they stated it had something to do with finding the DNS server on the Net &/or my local host file and that letting the network reconfigure itself would fix it which it did.

Good luck in getting this fixed. I'm not sure if re-installed XP will be of any help or not, but sometimes you can spend a lot of time trying to manually fix things when doing that dreaded task is the easier/quickest out. I have spun my wheels many times trying to avoid this (still do). If you go this route just be sure to back up any files you have on the partition the OS is on elsewhere or you will lose them.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds