Unmountable_Boot_Volume

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gorikain, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Gorikain

Gorikain Private E-2

'ello all.
    Last tuesday I got up to go to class, packed up my laptop, which is a Dell Inspiron 5160, and went on my way.
    When I got there, I opened my computer and it was acting very sluggish.. so I decided to restart it. When I went to restart, I was greeted with the BSOD reading "Unmountable_Boot_Volume". I restarted it again, and it worked fine.... for a bit. Then the hard drive started making grinding noises on and off.
    I imagine this is a hard drive failure. I'm not too keen on losing all the info I have on my hard drive. :/

Anyway, I was poking around online trying to find a solution to this problem and I read a few reviews instructing me to run a chkdsk and run the fixboot option. So from Windows, I started the command prompt and typed chkdsk /r. It asked if I'd like to schedule a chkdsk for the next time I restart, so I said yes. That happened... but midway through the chkdsk that grinding noise came back, and I recieved another bluescreen error.

I yet again restarted my computer and selected the option "Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)"
    That got me into Windows XP... however, Windows XP is still running sluggish, and my hd started to make the grinding noises again. Eventually, I got another blue screen.

I can't boot up in Safe Mode with Command Prompt, because it gets hung up.

I don't have my Windows XP cd with me, but I burned a bootable disc for it, and I don't know how to boot to the cd so I can do this
    I'm not even sure that that is the right thing to do... :/

The grinding noise scares me... and I don't want to leave the computer running too long when it happens, for fear of further damage.
    I don't wanna lose my 45GB of music, let alone all my programs and web schtuff. :( Help!

2. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Private E-2

you'd better start backing up your data...NOW!!!!!

slow and sluggish may not mean alot, but if you hear metallic noises like grinding then you are most certainly headed for a major crash.

3. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

I wouldn't waste any more time.. get the IMPORTANT data off the pc as soon as you can.. use thumb drives if you have to. If you're hearing grinding noises, then it's highly unlikely that it's a boot.ini issue.

You may want to consider purchasing a USB external drive with large capacity to transfer your music and other non-critical data to considering you have 45GB of music files.

4. Gorikain

Gorikain Private E-2

Aye, an external hard drive seems like a good idea.
    My laptop is still under warranty, and I'm hoping Dell would fix this issue... although I've heard that would entail completely wiping my hd.

Thank you guys for the fast response! :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds