Random question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Lev, May 21, 2006.

1. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

I guess I could have put this in the Hardware Forum, but it goes off on a tangent, so I'll put it here.

I sit in our bedroom with the TV going while I work/play on my wireless laptop. The TV channel is forever changing on it's own....I'm not even touching the remote. It selects PPV movies and all sorts of menu options pop up on the screen with no help from me! Is this a wireless issue.

Also my husband's cell phone charger is in the kitchen next to a rotary utensil holder. In there is a Oregon Ducks musical bottle opener. When his phone is charging and someone calls, it sets ot the musical bottle opener too! Is this a wireless freaky thing too?

OR...do we have a weird magnetic field issue going on here or something even freakier?

2. star17

star17 MajorGeek

Buy chaslang a plane ticket and have him fly out to your house and check it for spyware. ;)

It's nothing more than "signal-clashing"; one of the encoded decals on my car windshield opens the automatic sliding doors at the grocery store when we drive by it. My cellphone also rings through the radio at work, and it's a blessing when it cuts out the country music. ;)

I don't think I've ever known anyone that owned a musical bottle opener, or wanted to for that matter. :D

3. sibeer

sibeer MajorGeek

Lev, get the rotary utensil holder out of the house NOW!!!
    All kidding aside, several years ago, when my kids were little we had a couple of touch lamps. I was trying out a stereo amplifier I was thinking of buying from a friend (no it wasn't stolen). The lamps had three levels of brightness that would change each time you touched them. The lamps started turning on and off and changing brightness by themselves. What made the whole thing freaky was I started pointing to each lamp and vocally commanded them to go on or off, or to dim or brighten, and it was working. I was starting to think ghosts, and was getting a real creepy feeling. The kids were crying, and huddled on the couch. My wife got home from work to this scene, except as she walked though the door, the lamps returned to normal. I got berated for scaring the kids and making them cry (what did I do?). I think the amplifier was a coincidence. My neighbour is a ham radio operator and is a possible explanation, because I get occasional interference from him on other applications.

4. Jazagod

Jazagod Command Sergeant Major

This was a strange one for me, but one night my wife and I (while on Vacation) were drinking wine . We were at a lake called Petit Lac Long in Quebec, anyways needless to saywe were getting a little silly. This Huge cottage wich was very old and was a familly home for years. Ok I am rambling.
    :confused: I was getting all silly, and remeber those old school intercoms in houses so you can talk upstairs? well I started talking into one in the kitchen, saying stuff like "Roger Roger", "ten 4", and "houston we have a problem " and what not....Being silly.
    Well, after a few minutes the thing answered. It was staticky and garbled, but I tell you , the joke was over. I immediately unplugged the big bulky intercom, on the way out the front door, both my wife and I white as ghosts.
    We slept in the car! So did the dogs...
    The next day we searched the entire house and could find no other end to this intercom.
    What is up with that??
    Another random question?:confused:?

5. Jazagod

Also...
    There was no rotary utensil holder either! :O

6. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

FOFLMAO, Who ya gonna call, Ghostbusters? :D ;) :) Bazza

7. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Our eldest son and his wife bought one of those towers heaters for their living room which had a remote control feature. Trouble was, everytime they changed TV channel it moved the heat setting up and down too.

Give it ten years and this remote control "signal-clashing" world could either get very entertaining or extremely frustrating!

@Star...that's pretty cool if you use that store...pull up, automatically open the store doors as you drop Abby off and in she walks like royalty :D

8. ANHEDONIC

ANHEDONIC Will Title For Food

I guess you'll have to wait until the Earth's magnetic fields reverse....

9. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

LoL! It happens. Every time I go to my friends place and turn the car immobilizer on or off, her garage door opens and closes. Had her wondering what was going on for a while, but she figured it out eventually, heh. ;)

I can't say I've ever had a musical bottle opener, but I had one with a lil’ flashlight in it a while back.

10. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Hey....no dissing the musical bottle opener..it plays the "Ducks" song :p Not sure why we have ANY bottle opener actually...no-one in our house drinks, period.

11. singlewhitemale

singlewhitemale Private E-2

Hi everyone, I'm new to this board, and my question has nothing to do with your question/comment.

What does "site served" mean. It was written in a proposal for advertising?

Thanks you all.

12. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Welcome to MajorGeeks singlewhitemale :)

Rather than hijack an exisiting thread with a totally unrelated topic, it is preferrable to start a new thread with your question :)

Do you have the full sentence?.......it would help to put it into context.

13. singlewhitemale

singlewhitemale Private E-2

Sorry about that.. No that was it, headings in an excell file in columns. One of the columns has . In an excell file under one column it had questions like Impressions, rate, start date, rate type, dimensions, 3rd party, SITE SERVED, Enhanced media. that's about all.

14. Jazagod

Maybie you should invest in "drinking" glasses....
    Last I heard, water is healthy ; )
    :D
    Cheers to that!!
    :D :D

15. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

16. Jazagod

17. Anon-b946935a51

Anon-b946935a51 Anonymized

Someone in our neighborhood has the same remote tv frequency for changing dish network channels and they change our channels. My husband plays dueling remotes with them until they give up.

18. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

That is really interesting! How do you know this is why?

The reason I ask, and the subject of this thread prior to hijacking (!!), is that we have DISH too! So how can I figure which neighbor I am dueling with? lol If this is the reason, their taste in programs is total crap! It would also explain why hitting the RECALL button doesn;t bring back the channel you just were watching before it changed.

19. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Never experienced any of this,everything works in my boring world:( :)

20. abri

abri MajorGeek

this is precious! I haven't laughed so hard in a long time!!
    <wipes tears off cheeks>
    abri

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds