PC working slow, and hanging in normal mode.. fine in safe mode,

Discussion in 'Software' started by fux0r, May 23, 2008.

1. fux0r

fux0r Private E-2

It's my first post here, so hey all. :)
    I don't know if it's the right section for my problem, so sorry if it's not.

I've got a problem with my PC. Yesterday, my PC has started working really slow, and the sound ''lagged'' aswell. I've tried running Quake 3, but it was hanging after few secs, tried it a few times, while Starcraft was running fine for around 1 hour, and no hanging or restarts. I've tried reinstalling Windows (I have Windows XP Pro.), and the PC didn't work slow anymore, but it STILL was hanging in normal mode and in Q3... So, I've tried to run antivirus scan, and defragmenting, but during the defragmentation Pc hanged. I restarted it and it took really long to load Windows.. And the sound was lagging again, with PC running slow again. Tried reinstalling the windows again, but after some time the same thing happens. Tried formattic drive C:, and reinstalling windows, but after some times the same thing occurs. So... It takes really long to load Windows, the sound lags, everything is working slow, and after a few seconds it hangs on pretty much every game, just Starcraft works fine. Hangs while just in Windows, doing nothing, too. I took a log from HijackThis, but only in safe mode... It just hangs in normal, so sorry for this. =/ I run Spybot search and destroy in Safe Mode, it found like 6 things and I deleted them, but it didn't help. So, I could really use some help, and I'd appreciate it.

Attached Files:

2. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

Welcome to Major Geeks!

It is very unlikely that your problems are related to malware especially if you have already formatted.

However if you want to be sure there is no malware then please follow the instructions in the below link and attach the requested logs when you finish these instructions. If something does not run, write down the info to explain to us later but keep on going. Do not assume that because one step does not work that they all will not.

READ & RUN ME FIRST. Malware Removal Guide

Last edited: May 24, 2008
  3. fux0r

fux0r Private E-2

Hi Chaslang. It seems everything is fine now. I don't know, but it doesn't restart anymore, and I didn't do anything... Oh well, thanks for the help anyway. :) I'll post here if it will start all over.

4. fux0r

fux0r Private E-2

Ok... It happens again, so I'm including logs. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

5. fux0r

fux0r Private E-2

And the 4 log.

Attached Files:

6. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

As I expected, your problems are not due to malware. Your logs are clean. You need to check into whether you are having a software/driver issue or hardware problems. I will move this thread to the Sotware Forum for you.

7. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Welcome to Major Geeks!
    From the sound of things, it may be a problem with the video card, esp. since you said the problem doesn't happen in safe mode. If you've formatted the drive and reloaded clean Windows, did you happen to notice when the lag starts? I mean, was it there right away after the Windows install was finished? Or did it show up during/after the drivers had been installed? The timing on this is pretty important because it can tell us what was loaded or installed right before the problem started. If it was there right away after Windows was installed and even before the drivers were loaded, then it most definitely a hardware problem. If the problem goes away in safe mode, then it really points to a device problem (or a device driver problem). If you are running a video card but also have on board video, try removing the card and using the on board video; or go the other way: if using the on board video, install a video card and see how it goes. It could also be a bad sound card (or sound driver). I've seen bad sound cards do some crazy things to PCs. If you have on board sound, disable it in the BIOS and see how that goes. Or if it's a sound card, remove it and see what happens.... anyway- most important is if you can post when the problem starts on the Windows "time line"... after Windows is installde but before the drivers; after the drivers but before the software (like games and apps); after the games and apps but before Windows updates.... etc... etc.... you get the idea.

8. fux0r

fux0r Private E-2

Hi dlb.

These problems usually start after installing windows, usually after I install Service Pack and all the drivers, but still, it's always ok in safe mode, and I can have it running for days there without any hanging.
    Still, I hangs like 5-10 secs after running Quake 3, while it's totally ok in Starcraft. That's pretty strange, cause it can hang in Windows normal mode, but it will NEVER hang in 2D games... Anyway, I had to reinstall windows today again, cause after booting the PC it said something about missing file in c:/windows/system directory.. I've only got on-board sound card, and I will try booting with it off, also I'll try booting with on-board video card ( I'm using GeForce 6800, agp, normally).
    Also, could it be a hardware problem if it's working perfectly fine in safe mode?
    Oh, and now I'm not getting the lag anymore, but it STILL hangs in Windows in Quake 3. Okay, I'm gonna check it with onboard stuff and post the results.

9. fux0r

fux0r Private E-2

Okay, I've tried to boot my PC with on-board video card, but it keeps restarting when loading windows, even though I deleted old vid. card drivers. I've also tried disabling onboard sound card, but PC still hangs in 3D games.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds