BSoD! Help!!

Discussion in 'Software' started by seanp, Sep 2, 2008.

1. seanp

seanp Private E-2

Well, one day, I turned my computer on and, boom! The blue screen of death. I have no idea what may have caused it, all I know is that I've tried to boot into every mode possible (safe mode, safe mode with networking, last known good configuration, etc.). Heres what the screen says:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

*blah, stuff that I've already tried ( rebooted, rebooted in safe mode etc.)*

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x000000ED (0x819D8C98, 0xC0000006, 0x00000000,
    0x00000000)
    ________________________________________END____________________
    ****NOTE***: I installed firefox about a week ago, but nothing else.

2. Stubby

Stubby R.I.P. (September 3, 1949 - January 26, 2011)

3. seanp

seanp Private E-2

Thanks Stubby, but when I go into recovery console, my computer stays on a blue screen, and doesn't load anything. Any solutions?

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:wave Welcome to Major Geeks! :major
    Since most of your repair options must be run from the recovery console, and you can't get to the recovery console, I think you're left with just a few things: run an in-depth diagnostic on the hard drive. You can download it from your hard drive manufacturer's web site for free. You'll create a bootable floppy or CD from the download, boot to it, and follow the on screen directions. You can also create a 'live' CD like the UBCD4Win (Ultimate Boot CD For Windows) and boot to it and try some of the tools included. You can try the regular Ultimate Boot CD which is also full of diagnostic tools and probably also includes the diagnostic from your drive maker, and it has some memory diagnostics that you should run also. You can also remove the HD from the PC and hook it up to a healthy PC. Then go to a command prompt and run chkdsk X: /r that way (X: is the letter of the drive you removed from the other PC). I think those options are about all you have at this point. If you can repair the drive enough to get to the recovery console, read the info at this link and follow those steps. There's also some good info here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q297185
    Good luck! I hope this helps! :-D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds