Internet Connection Slow

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dumb_Question, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Dumb_Question

Dumb_Question Sergeant Major

I have a perenial problem - a slow internet connection, seems to have got slower over time, I can work with fewer windows open than in the past. I'd be grateful for some tips on increasing the speed.

Specifically, my connection time is slow; I spend a few seconds (a good few seconds) with the words "Waiting to connect..." or "Waiting for site (address)" displaying in some window or the other on my screen every time I click a link.

I typically use Internet Explorer.

I have additional data: the download rate is OK: should be (advertised) 2.1Mbps, currently 1.5Mbps (www.Speedtest.net, www.BroadbandSpeedChecker.co.uk, and ftp data download of ~400MBytes agree), upload is about 400kbps (Speedtest, BroadbandSpeedChecker), and ping about 103ms (Speedtest), from a server it selected [which seems VERY long given that I have read ping times of 50ms and even 33ms described as 'slow'].

I'm running a single PC wired directly (well, via a filter) to the telephone network (broadband, ADSL etc.). Thomson/Alcatel Speedtouch 330 USB Modem.

I realise my 80GB HD is pretty full (of 70GB that forms the main partition, only about 9GB is free).

AVG does not detect any malware, neither does windows Defender (which at last seems to work [I have had problems with updating that which lead to an extensive discussion with microsoft and of the outcome was "the only fix is to reformat your HD"])

Can anyone offer a diagnosis and cure or steps that might be taken in that direction ?

Dumb_Question
    5.October.2011

Compaq Presario S5160UK DT261A (2.7GHz Celeron) - MSI MS-6577 v2.1 - XP/SP3

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Free up more hard drive space. Though this would not have an effect on browsing speed, it does have an effect on general windows performance.

Change the DNS so you are not using what the ISP supplies. This might be slowing you down.
    Open DNS 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

http://www.opendns.com/home/fastreliable
    you do not need to signup to use the DNS numbers.

Look to see what is currently shown and write then down then replace the two numbers with the above.

I have a cable modem and router and I can change mine through my router. Since you use a dsl modem/router combo, I suspect you might have to go into the dsl modem settings and change them from there.

3. Dumb_Question

I am slowly clearing my HD.

Thanks plodr.
    But I do not understand what you are recommending. I have DNS select on automatic -I don't know what DNS I am actually using (how can I find out ?). What are you suggesting that I do after going to http://www.opendns.com/home/fastreliable
    ? The two numbers at the bottom of the page http://www.opendns.com/home/fastreliable
    are as you have given them.

Are you sugggesting in IE under tools > internet options > (my connection) 'settings' > 'properties' > networking tab > (internet protocol (TCP/IP)) 'properties' > that I deselect 'Obtain DNS sever address automatically' and select 'use the following DNS server address' and enter one of the two DNS addresses above ? Have I understood correctly ? Or are you suggesting doing something more with www.opendns.com ?

Dumb_Question
    5.October.2011

4. Dumb_Question

5. plodr

Wait for someone else to answer this. I do not use IE and the only way I have ever changed DNS is through my router.
    I am familiar with internet through a cable company but not very familiar with internet through a phone company so I do not want to suggest something that might break in your situation.

As far as DNS servers, you should have 2 or three listed. The number you posted 212.139.abc.xy looks more like an IP than a DNS server.

Who is your ISP? I might be able to discover what DNS servers they use. I have three notecards full of DNS server addresses.

6. Dumb_Question

Thank you for answering.

I have read a bit further in the article I included a link to which gives an alternative way to find my DNS servers using 'connections' in the start box, which for me has the same results. I am pretty confident that I can change my DNS server, but to what ? One of the two you suggested ?

Does a DNS server address look different to an ordinary IP address ?

In fact using the method I described gave two DNS servers; I looked them up and they do 'belong' to my ISP TalkTalk (Tiscali) - 212.139.132.58 and 59 I'm sure you are aware of internet sites that describe who is the owner of an IP address and where it is to some level of detail. (I would send an address for IP look-up site but I'm not on my usual PC)

Dumb_Question
    6.October.2011

7. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Hello Dumb_Question!

I also have a DSL connection and I have been using OpenDNS for several months.
    Supposedly, it is slightly faster, but I have not perceived any change, either positive or negative.
    The primary reason I switched to OpenDNS was for the additional Security that it provides.

I also had some trouble understanding how this works and how to set it up, and I have saved about a dozen links
    that provide explanations and "how to" instructions.

Here are a few to get you started:
    Change Your Settings
    Configuration for Windows XP
    Knowledge Base: Networks with Dynamic IP Address
    Dynamic IP: General Info
    Dynamic IP: Windows Updater Documentation

I have the OpenDNS Dynamic IP Updater installed and it is set to load / run at Windows startup.
    Once installed, there will be an icon in the system tray, lower right corner.
    Tip: I have found that opening the updater dialog and clicking Update Now and then Closing the dialog, releases most
    of the RAM occupied by the utility.

If you need more info, I have more links available.

As for your modem and internet speed, it is recommended that you Power Off the DSL modem periodically, for about 30 seconds,
    so that it can reset and reestablish a connection.

You may also want to use SpeedGuide.net - TCP Optimizer
    TCP Optimizer FAQ

8. Dumb_Question

My connection to the opendns website through the link you gave me, plodr, is so slow today, I think it's never going to open properly (1 item remaining...) :-D.

Try again later, press refresh...wait..

ps pressing 'refresh' on my browser seems to help on maany occasions, so long as I have not got to the stage of "Program Not Responding". Is this a clue as to what is happening (have not changed DNS address yet)

Dumb_Question
    23.October.2011

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  9. plodr

Change the DNS from what you currently have to the OpenDNS ones. I have no problem getting to the opendns site using the DNS supplied by my Comcast account. If I had trouble getting pages to load, I'd replace the Comcast ones with the OpenDNS ones.
    You can always change back to what you are currently using if you don't notice pages loading faster.

10. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Clearing Internet Explorer Temporary Internet Files may also help.

Using CCleaner Slim is an easy way to do that and will also help keep your hard drive clean.

There is a video tutorial on the download page.

In the cleaner section, with the broom icon in the left pane, on the Windows tab, put a check mark in the following:
    • Temporary internet files
    • History (optional)
    • Cookies
    • Index.dat files

11. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Some MG threads I have contributed to, or ''learnt from", are:

DrTcp
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=155707
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=158045

Works great for XP, but not for Vista and Windows 7.

Slow broadband ADSL
    MG thread http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=222378

These links, tips, tutorials, etc., I have gathered from over 3 years of tweaking.
    First on an ADSL modem/router and lastly on an ADSL 2 modem/router

In no particular order:

Speed Test sites
    www.dslreports.com
    http://speedtest.dslnet.com.au
    www.speedtest.com
    www.speedtest.net
    www.zdnet.com.au/broadband/speedtest.htm
    www.pcpitstop.com/store/optimize.asp
    www.speedguide.net
    http://testmyspeed.com.au
    http://resources.broadbandguide.com.au/speedtest

Tutorials
    www.speedguide.net/downloads.php (5 page tutorial on SG TCP OPtimizer)
    Search your Google site for Packet Loss links
    www.speedguide.net for SG Bandwidth*Delay Product Calculator
    www.overclock.net for How to use DrTcp
    Check out majorgeeks http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=127814
    when I first started tweaking. :)
    www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/tweak2.htm on Non standard sync speed settings
    www.dslreports.com/faq/tweaks/5._RWIN on RWIN settings
    http://help.expedient.com/cgi-bin/print/printerpage.pl
    (this was their output on a Search there on MTU ping test)
    Or google Search on MTU ping test and choose the expedient.com link

Programs to assist you.
    www.unblocka.com

Dan Elwell's Broadband speed test
    (does 38 tests on different sites around the world for you, and reports the different speeds)
    Make sure you enter the correct plan speeds from your Broadband provider,
    and make sure you know the difference between Kbps and KB/s. 8x the difference :)

One final VIP tip.
    Make sure you save a screenprint of your settings, and revisions, every time you make a change to them. ALSO reboot your computewr AFTER every change.

You have embarked on a major trial and error effort as every computer, ISP, distance from link, Country or State/County is a variable. :cry

Bazza

12. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

I have used TCP Optimizer with Windows XP and a DSL connection and it seems to help.

It makes a backup of your current settings each time you run it, so that you can revert to your previous settings.
    The backups are Additive, so you can have Multiple settings backups. ;)

13. Dumb_Question

Phew ! a lot to try guys.

I have only changed my DNS server to that suggested on openDNS; it does not seem to make any difference, as mjnc found. It was set to 'automatic' previously.

I have already downloaded CCleaner (not CCleaner Slim), but am afraid to do too much with it as I really don't know what I'm doing with the registry. I'll have a look at the tutorial sometime, thanks.

Aside from the index.dat files, can't IExplorer delete cookies, Temporary Internet files and browsing history for you, from Tools > Internet Options > Delete > etc ?

I'm afraid to restart my computer, because it may be failing, and fails to start up properly 90% of the time, I'm waiting for it not to start at all ! A more serious problem than poor internet performance, I think you'll agree ! (Black screen, fan at high speed, does not seem to try HD at all - I think I've posted abot this elsewhere)

Thanks for your help.

Dumb_Question
    24.October.2011

14. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Make sure you have a backup of all your important info.
    Maybe do a FULL backup, to an external drive.

Bazza

15. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

RE: differences between CCleaner and CCleaner Slim
    The Registry cleaner portion of CCleaner may not have Any effect on internet speed.
    However, the CCleaner registry cleaner is generally considered to be the safest.

Yes, you can delete IE temporary files, etc. through Tools -> Internet Options.
    You can also Set how much disk space is allocated to Temporary files and how much History will be saved,
    as well as set Browsing History to be cleared when Exiting the browser.

Have you prepared a Boot CD to use in case the computer will not boot from the hard drive?
    UBCD4Win
    Ultimate Boot CD
    Barts PE Builder ***

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  16. Dumb_Question

-> BigBazza : Thank you for stressing the importance of making back-ups. I have made back-ups of all important (I hope) data on my internal HD, and recently begun a grandfather-father-son system for the 'user documents' folders on my HD, to two different external HDs. I must find out aout back-ups and copies; I currently use the latter, but they take so long.

My HD is now empty enough to defrag !

-> mjnc : Thanks for the info on versions of CCleaner. I don't use it much (out of fear).

No I have not made an boot CD - I don't have a CD burning program, I don't know what the difference between 'copying' to a CD and 'burning' is.

I know that you only seem to be able to make a bootable CD by burning onto it. I have copied many files to CD. I have only CD WORM discs at the moment but I do have a CD drive which can write (obviously). I did make a 3.5" bootable disk though - my computer also has a 3.5" disc drive (I still have past material on 3.5" disk so this was an advantage when I bought the PC).

My PC is set to try 3.5" inch disk - CD drive - HD on boot, there is no option in the bios for any sort of USB boot. I do not remember if I have tried my bootable 3.5" when my PC wasn't booting, if I did, it didn't work. Next time I power down and it doesn't bot (highly probable) I'll give it a try, but I'm not hopeful.

Dumb_Question
    24.October.2011

17. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

1. Great! That may help. Good Work!

2. Just be careful about what you check in the Cleaner section.
    I do not check anything under Advanced or Opera (my browser) and only the first 5 under System and none under Windows Explorer (my choice).
    Be sure to check the selections on Both Tabs.

Also, the Registry Cleaner can be configured to Always prompt you (Y/N) if you want it to make a backup of changes,
    which can be restored later if needed.

3. I think "burning" is just a term used because the media is Optical rather than Magnetic.
    There is plenty of good "burning" software available in the CD/DVD section, like CDBurnerXP and ImgBurn

Sorry I didn't mention this before -
    ERUNT is a Great utility for backing up the system registry -
    backups are made into individual folders with date and time stamp as default folder names. (can be appended for additional info.)
    I consider it a Must Have utility - very reliable and useful.
    Can also be configured to make Automatic Daily backups accumulating to any number of days you choose,
    with Auto Deletion of oldest backup.

18. Dumb_Question

I now believe that the root of this problem (slow connection time and subsequent screen update time when switching from one copy of explorer to a diifferent one pointing to different site) is that my CPU runs at 100% during these activities, and takes some time to recover. But what activities are they ? Waiting for connection ? or 'Done' at the bottom left of screen ? Is my CPU, a 2.7GHz Celeron, particularly slow ? This speed problem has got worse over the last few months, and indeed since I started this thread.

When not on internet activity computer seems fine. memory usage 1 - 1.25 GB of 1.5GB installed.

I cleaned some dust out of my h/s a few weeks ago and this loweredthhe temperature by about 10C (according to MBM5 - any other suggestions for a quasi real time temp monitor which is small and free ?)

-> mjnc

OpenDNS: I have not used this program but I did try changing DNS addresses to those suggested on OpenDNS and it made little difference.

Any further suggestions anyone ?

Dumb_Question
    14.November.2011

19. samtal

samtal Corporal

20. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Are you running Multiple Instances (copies) of Internet Explorer simultaneously ?
    If you are, that will consumer more memory.
    You should open additional TABS, rather than new Windows or multiple instances of IE.

That memory usage seems a bit High, to me.

I'm using Win XP SP3 with 1.5 GB installed, and currently my total memory usage is 61%, with Opera browser using 454,000
    kilobytes with 15 tabs open.
    After Closing the browser, memory usage is 33% while running System Explorer to monitor usage.

There must be some unexpected processes running.

OpenDNS is not a program. Your system will either be configured to use your Internet Service Provider's DNS server OR some
    other.

21. Dumb_Question

Thanks, mnjc
    That's useful info.

First, my system after boot, loading windows, etc, typically seems to occupy 700 - 800 MB, looking at memory chart in the task manager; on the processes, System (process 4) is only around 150 MB. I have often wondered about this discrepancy. This seems very high in comparison to yours.

I do run multiple copies of IE. I would like to carry on working when computer is tied up with one IE and I can neither open new tabs or access others already open - this part of the problem. I used to be able to get round by opening another copy of IE and working in that window, but no more - one reason for this starting this thread.
    I do have a fair few processes starting a boot time, and I can stop them, but I am afraid to do so for fear of mucking something up, and not knowing how to add them to boot start up/invoking them while running should I need them again. Also I don't know what half of them do. I think there about 80 processes (I'll have to check that). Almost all of them consume no CPU and hardly any <2K memory, if that. The biggest sources of trouble on that front atm are WD Smartware (which is not so smart, it is positively stupid) and tsnp2std.exe, they eat about 15% CPU but small amount of memory.

When I had 768MB of memory my PC actually seemed faster, though my hard disk was being thrashed a lot.

I discovered a virus on my PC since my my last post I hope it's being "healed" makes a difference. It was called something surprising and appeared to be located in my macsyma stuff on my C drive but my macsyma stuff is all on an externAL drive except the desktop link.Can,t remember now and I can't check at the moment

Dumb_Question
    17.November.2011

22. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Have you tried a different browser like FireFox or Google's Chrome and use speedtest with them? Get rid of the WD app, not needed. Also, unless you use your webcam the tsnp2std.exe is not needed or at least uninstall those two to test your speed again, do each one separately. %15 CPU use by each is problematic. I'm not an expert on webcams but if it's not in use then why the heavy CPU use?:confused

As to you're 768MB RAM and hard drive thrashing issue, the pagefile was being used extensively for some reason. It doesn't make sense to me as to why, there's a hog in there somewhere. Get rid of those two apps and see what happens. It's always easier to diagnose a machine when nothing extra is running or having attached hardware. How much RAM do you have now?

23. Dumb_Question

Thank you auggiedoggie.

I have not tried another browser recently though I do have Firefox installed. I will do something about WD smartware and tsnp2std.exe even if it is the temporary fix of killing associated processes in task manager. I don't know why the heavy CPU use of tsnp2std.exe (nor of WD programs even when I don't have an external HD attached) though I read one site viruses often use that name. I shall do as you suggest but testing the speed is only qualitative because I have no quantitative measure of it - speedtest etc give 'normal' download upload speeds.

Usually (recently) tsnp2std.exe runs at 10-20% CPU and WD processes at less than that, say less then 10% CPU in total, but it varies.
    I used to have 768MB but in August I think it was I upgraded to 1.5GB. The hard disk thrashing vanished. Page file was being used because I was using more than 768MB - upto 1.25GB (writing from my own memory). Why doesn't mem usage in task manager processes total to the same number as mem usage in the chart section of TM ? It is always much less in the processes (typically 500MB total would be a lot) than the chart (normally over 1GB, frequently up to 1.3GB).

Dumb_Question
    17.November.2011

Compaq Presario S5160UK DT261A (2.7GHz Celeron) - 1.5GGB RAM - MSI MS-6577 v2.1 - XP/SP3

24. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

WD Smartware is backup software provided with Western Digital external hard drives.
    There is some info about it HERE

I suggest that you follow augiedoggie's suggestion and Uninstall WD Smartware.
    Because of it's CPU usage, removing it will have a significant impact on your computer's performance.
    There are plenty of good backup software programs available at Major Geeks that are Free.

If you don't already have Revo Uninstaller, then you should download and install this great Free software.
    Best free uninstaller currently available. With the Moderate setting selected (default), it removes leftover files and
    Registry entries AFTER the builtin uninstaller for the program has completed.

Here is Bleeping Computer's Info about tsnp2std.exe.
    You may not have to uninstall this, but removing it from the Automatic startup list should also provide marked improvement.

Two programs that you can use to do this:

Startup Control Panel Standalone Version
    This is fine to use with Windows XP, even though it is an old program.
    It does not require installation.
    This is what I use to manage startups.

Winpatrol
    plodr recommendes this, particularly for people using Windows Vista and Windows 7,
    as explained in This Post

As far as browsers are concerned, I recommend either Firefox or Pale Moon, which is Firefox optimized for the Windows OS,
    or Opera.
    The latest versions of all are available at Major Geeks.
    Just do not install a BETA version.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds