Bsod caused by dxgkrnl.sys

Discussion in 'Software' started by LauraR, Dec 26, 2009.

1. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Caused by dxgkrnl.sys

I used Bluescreen View as advised in post 2 in Adryn's guide. I've searched for this but can't really figure out anything.

Anyone have any ideas.

Is this DirectX?

Attached Files:

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Laura

By the looks of the screenshot this is Vista or Windows 7 or is it a skinned XP machine as the windows look as if a skinning app has been used to change the theme?

When did this start happening and was any new app or driver installed, if so what?

Is Windows fully updated?

This PC is not overclocked is it, CPU or GPU?

Temps all ok?

If Vista or Windows 7 you have latest DirectX versions on 10 and 11 respectively, but what I would suggest is to update the Video card drivers and let us know the make and model of PC or its hardware specs.

3. LauraR

Okay. Windows7 64bit. It's not overclocked. I've already looked into the latest video driver and I have it. It's happened when I've been using Photoshop mainly, but I wasn't using it this time. Honestly, I can't remember when the first time was that it happened. It's happened occasionally over the period of time I've had it. I haven't installed anything (that I can think of) that has required a driver, other than external hardware, such as backup harddrive, ipod, camera, etc.

This time when it happened, Avira was running a scan and I was online.

I'm not sure about the temps. As far as I can see, I don't have a built in monitor. What's the most accurate software I can install to check?

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Laura

Are you using a skinning app and if so what as that theme is not a default one?

Temps can be found using this app RealTemp (if Intel CPU, my fav app as I use Intle CPUs mainly) or this Speedfan

5. LauraR

You lost me on the skinning. The wallpaper is a jpeg file. The rest is what came with my computer.

My temp seems fine??

Attached Files:

6. LauraR

So after having random 'Black screens' where I have to just do a hard shut down, I finally called HP. After spending and hour and half on the phone and running all diagnostics, everything came up fine.

We did upgrade the BIOS firmware. Could the BIOS be causing these problems?

The other concern for me is Avira. That has been the only constant as far as what is running when all this stuff happens (bsod, black screens, unexpected shutdowns). Could Avira be causing this?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds