My internet stopped working?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Techguy101, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Techguy101

Techguy101 Private E-2

Hey Guys,
    I need your help. About three days ago i was surfing the web and all of a sudden my internet stoped working. So i tried rebooting my computer and still no luck i really have no clue what happened and ive been trying to figure this out for days. I have already uninstalled all my firewalls. Can you help me???? Do you need my IPconfig /ALL?

2. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Welcome to Major Geeks.
    Some info would be useful.
    Type of connection?cable, dialup, satellite.
    NIC card? built in or plugin.
    Wired or wireless?
    Type of machine? desktop or laptop.
    Make and model of machine? HP, Dell, ...

3. itmortiz

itmortiz Corporal

More info please.

Navigator (IE, Mozilla, Chrome)

Info ( ipconfig -all)

4. Techguy101

Techguy101 Private E-2

okay well i use mozilla fire fox, i have a lynksis wireless router that i connect to my computer via usb and i have a surfboard cable modem. here goes my IP config all

Node type.....:unknown
    IP Routing Enabled.......:No
    WINS Proxy Enabled.........:NO

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 4:

Connection-specfic DNS Suffix:
    Description.......:Linksys Wireless- B USB Network Adapter v4.0

Dhcp Enabled.......: Yes
    Autoconfigration Enabled....:Yes
    I.P. Address..........:0.0.0.0
    Subnet Mask.......:0.0.0.0
    Default Gateway.......:
    DHCP Server............:192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers.............:167.206.251.130
    NetBIOS over Tcpip........:Disabled

I have a Dell desktop computer.Dimension E310.
    If you need any other info let me know i really apperciate the help guys.

5. Techguy101

Techguy101 Private E-2

My modem is located in my basement and im on the second floor of my house with my computer

6. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Have you tried a hard reset of your cable box?
    Power off your box, router, and all PCs.
    Wait a couple of minutes, then power up your cable box.
    When ALL lights are burning steady, then power up your router.
    Now fire up the PCs and see.

7. Techguy101

Techguy101 Private E-2

It didnt work do you guys have any other ideas.Even my linksys connection screen says "You are connected to the access point, but the internet cannot be found". GOt any ideas?

8. Techguy101

Techguy101 Private E-2

Does it have something to do with my 0.0.0.0 IP address.

9. lego126

lego126 DJ's Geeky Dad

Yes that would be it. Have you recent;y changed locations, or networks? There is a way to renew your IP address but it should be doing it auto.
    What OS are you using?
    You need to open a command prompt, and type, ipconfig /release ,
    And then try ipconfig /renew
    The above mentioned will release your IP address, and the second will renew it. Hopefully this will help.

10. itmortiz

itmortiz Corporal

Do first ipconfig /release after that ipconfig /renew

11. Techguy101

Techguy101 Private E-2

okkay well i did that ipconfig /renew and it says "An error has occured while renewing interface Wireless Networking connection 4: THe RPC server is unavailiable"
    So after i saw this i did some research and found the problem and all i need is a soulution from you guys.
    I went to my DHCP Client in my services section(Services is in Adminstrative Tools) and when i tried to start is it said "Error 1068:The dependency service or group failed to start.
    Then i went to my device manager and clicked show all hidden files and under the Non-Plug and Play drivers my NetBios over Tcpip has a little yellew hazard exclamation point next to it.
    When i try to start this driver it says "the specfic driver is invalid."
    Now this is why my DHCP Client cant be started which is also why my intrent wont work.
    Am i right and how do i fix it?
    By the way i want to thanks you guys for all of your help so far.
    Now LETS FIX THIS PROBLEMM ;-)

12. Techguy101

Techguy101 Private E-2

By the way i did ipconfig /release before i did ipconfig /renew just to make sure you know.

13. itmortiz

itmortiz Corporal

I want to know i fyou have all your config automatically or u have manual parameters as your ip, dns or you changed some value in the wireless tcp/ip configuration.

Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (dhcp). Like for some reason your wireless is unable to reach an IP and settings from the router to the conectivity or it fails initializaiting components to reach that settings.

As you describe a service is not starting and i don't understand you have this problems:

Do this to try to solve two problems, let's go (and excuse me for my bad bad english):

-One Make sure isn't your wireless card driver.
    - Two, make sure isn't a virus.
    - Three, Fix Your TCP/IP settings by default

- Four, Do you recieve some message when you tipe ("ipconfig /renew"), what about if you type "ipconfig /release" any message? Did you computer reached an IP? ("ipconfig /all")

====Procedure=====

1. -Making Sure your wireless device is working -

Go to Control Panel > Device Manager Look for your wireless card, there you must haven't any yellow sign in any device.

So, look for your wireless adapter, do right clic on it, and check for a message "the device is working propierly".

2. -Making Sure Isn't a Virus-

First download and run this:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=AD724AE0-E72D-4F54-9AB3-75B8EB148356&displaylang=en

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Now run this:

http://majorgeeks.com/download3155.html

Save the text log and paste it in this website:

http://www.hijackthis.de/

Check for nasty entries, (if you have troubles or questions using tha tool please ask first, but i guess is easy to use)

Now, visit this folders in you computer and send all the content to the recycle bin and after that delete it:

-C:/Windows/Temp
    -C:/Windows/Prefetch
    (enable in folder options to see hidden files and folders)
    -C:/Documents and settings/ your user / local settings / temp

Finally, download Ccleaner and clean registry:

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

3. -Going Back to the default settings-

Download and run this one:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

Tell us if the problem persist, i hope that procedure attacks a lot of problems.

Good luck.

14. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Would be better to read this.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827328

And disregard the info given above about viruses. Should only listen to our TRAINED Malware fighters if you believe you have an infection.

15. itmortiz

itmortiz Corporal

Ok, so as i can see this is not about share procedures and knowledge, it is about, "your opinion sucks".

Good to know it in this forums, it seemed to be nice, know i can see it is not.

Viruses make windows malfunction and common errors, i didn't said is a virus, i suggested to test some things and have it in mind.

what is it hrlow2, just a kind of racism or a not professional attitude, if is not one of these, maybe you should learn how to talk people.

16. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

The forum rules clearly state that only trained professionals approved by the Administrators are to give advice on viruses and malware.

17. itmortiz

itmortiz Corporal

Good, next time would be nice "quote" the rule and not be rude.... it is not a better attitude?

18. Techguy101

Techguy101 Private E-2

okay well first off thank you both for you time and help.
    Now down to my computer.
    hrlow2:I followed the instructions on that link that you gave me and all those things that are supposes to be checked and running are.I was doing some more research and i know it has nothing to do with my printer because this has been going on for a while and this printer has been installed for a while to. Also i just reinstalled that serve pack disk and that did nothing either you got any other ideas or even input on what you think is wrong?

Now for itmortiz: I am 100% sure its not a virus because i ran spybot S&D, Spyware doctor, Aol firewall, Macfee and Malware bytes all after my internet stoped working and i had Spybot, Spyware and Aol Firewall on the internet less computer forever so i know its not a virus. Thanks for the though though. I also tried the rest of your links and still no sucess.Any other ways to fix my problem

Ohh ya also guys i tried uninstalling my NetBios over Tcpip because Help support said it would fix my situation and it didnt and now i cant find how to reinstall it. Can you help me with that to? I already enabled it but it dosetn come up under my non Plug % play items in my device Manager.

19. Techguy101

Techguy101 Private E-2

sorry that was so long by the way.

20. itmortiz

itmortiz Corporal

Is good to know is not a virus, but we can back to the basic problem.

I've been reading again your posts, so the problem is "you can connect to your wireless but there's no IP assignation?"

I mean, you can see the wireless network to conect, and you try to connect, then "resolving ip...." and when is done no IP is assigned?

If you have no trouble tell us in order to help you.

If my english isn't so wrong and that i've explained is your case you should think about modem configuration no laptop.

21. itmortiz

itmortiz Corporal

btw,

* How much you know about your wireless?
    * Did You tried to connect to other wireless network, friend, university, shop, to test if your device can recieve an IP?
    * Did you cleaned your dns caché? (ipconfig /flushdns)

I'll be waiting your answer.

22. Techguy101

Techguy101 Private E-2

well this is the thing when i try to repair my internet it can connect but it cant renew the ip address.

23. itmortiz

itmortiz Corporal

Hi,

but could you release your ip?

Some ISP make users IP static and can't be changed, if you try to change your ip you will recieve the same one.

24. Techguy101

Techguy101 Private E-2

Yes i do ipconfig /release its says that my IP has already been released i know what the problem is. I just cant fix it. I would like to know how to start my NetBios over Tcpip because when i try to start it it says the specfic driver is invalid.

25. Techguy101

Techguy101 Private E-2

do you know how to fix my NetBios over Tcpip because when i look at the DHCP client it depends in the NetBios over Tcpip in order for it to work so everything on my computer that isint working in my Services depends on the NetBios over Tcpip in order to work.

26. itmortiz

itmortiz Corporal

Could you send the screenshot of errors?

27. Techguy101

Techguy101 Private E-2

i can try but im telling you the problem. My NetBios over Tcpip is messed up because it says the specfic driver is invalid. I need to fix that. Do you think it needs to be updated?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds