Forticlient is blocking my nic

Discussion in 'Software' started by charsal, May 3, 2011.

1. charsal

charsal Private E-2

I installed Forticlient. I did not like the way it was constantly showing popups so I uninstalled it. It left behind five files in my Network adapters file in Device Manager
    Bluetooth personal area network-fortinet packet filter miniport
    Fortinet virtual adapter
    Fortinet virtual adapter Fortinet packet filter miniport
    Intel (R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection-Fortinet packet filter miniport
    WAN miniport IP-Fortinet packet filter miniport

As a result, my NIC says it is connected but has not traffic and no IP address unless I use a wireless connection. In addition I am constantly getting the message Socket Notification Sink: Control.exe-Application Error
    The instruction at "0x00425042" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not ber "read".
    Click on OK to terminate the program
    Click on Cancel to debug the program

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What Windows version and Service Pack are you using?

Did you follow the uninstaller info as listed HERE

Check in Add/Remove that no other Fortinet applications are installed, if they are uninstall them, then look in Device Manager for any devices in the network list that match those and uninstall them if there are.

Then reboot.

3. charsal

charsal Private E-2

I did the uninstall as suggested. When it was completed I noticed that I had lost internet. I eventually got to the device manager and found the devices that I have listed in my previous post. I can disable them but not uninstall them.

I still have a Forticlient security agent in my add/delete folder but it does not show any information nor give me a button to remove it.

I am using Windows XP service pack 3.

4. DavidGP

Hi

Try Revo Uninstaller HERE and see if it will uninstall the device or try the Windows Installer Cleanup Util HERE

also download and save to your PC the original nic drivers for your PC from the maker as you may need to re-install those original ones to get internet back once the app and its drivers are gone.

5. charsal

charsal Private E-2

I tried both and the fortinet devices are still there and the Socket Notification Sink is still there

6. DavidGP

Hi

I would re-install the forticlient again and then use Revo to uninstall as I have a sneaky suspicion that the uninstall has become corrupt.

7. charsal

charsal Private E-2

Yeah, that was one of the first things I tried but it will not uninstall. It says the application suddenly quit. I called fortinet but they want a serial number which I don't have. I'm thinking of just re-installing windows XP and getting it over with.

8. charsal

charsal Private E-2

Sorry, I meant it will not re-install

9. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hello,
    If you have the option to install XP over again after backing up your files, I would try deleting the Fortinet drivers with AutoRuns. Then reinstall your NIC driver.

[​IMG]

10. charsal

charsal Private E-2

Major update...I reinstalled the network drivers and was then able to attempt to re-install Forticlient. After a little horsing around, I had to un-install AVG I sucessfully installed forticlient and my NIC is working again. I have internet access, yeah...

But I still have the socket notification sink: Control.exe issue. Using the revo uninstaller I was able to identify an association to csrss.exe, which is a system 32 file. I did this by aiming the bullseye on the banner and clicking uninstall and it came back and said it could not uninstall csrss.exe (or something like that)

Thanks for you help so far, any suggestions are still welcome. The banner will not go away and I have to hide it at the bottom of the screen. If I try to cancel it, it returns to the middle of the screen after about a minute.

11. DavidGP

Hi

Ah now thats getting somewhere and I feel now that there maybe a startup still associated with this app on boot, if you manage startups with msconfig's startup tab then enable all startups and reboot.

then can you using the Autoruns application tgell mentioned click Logon and take a screenshot of the data in that window, just wish to see if Forticlient has a startup.

Also have a look in the Services list for any Forticlient service/s at all and mention to use what their name/s are.

csrss.exe is the Client Server Runtime Subsystem and is a legit Windows file, generally one or two can be seen running, so can you cannot normally terminate it from Task manager > Processes but see if you can boot into safe mode and try, revo to uninstall Control.exe

12. charsal

charsal Private E-2

I am using the forticlient as my virus protection and firewall. Do I need to remove it and see if that solves the problem?

13. charsal

charsal Private E-2

I removed Forticlient and Autoruns says there are no Forti... listings on my computer but i still have the socket notification sink: control.exe - application error

14. tgell

Control.exe is your control panel application. If you do a search, it should be in C:\windows\system32\. If it is anywhere else, it may be a malware issue.

15. charsal

charsal Private E-2

Here is what a search for control.exe gave control.exe screen shot.GIF

16. tgell

Hello,
    I am not sure about that CONTROL.EXE in your prefetch folder. Maybe David has some thoughts on that.

Edit: It might relate to your Dlink Viewcam

17. charsal

charsal Private E-2

Update, I'm pretty sure I have picked up a bug. I am getting many mail delivery notifications of mail I did not send. I have re-installed AVG and run a scan but this is happening now.

18. tgell

I would recommend that you go to the Malware Removal Forum of MajorGeeks and ask for help there.

19. charsal

charsal Private E-2

I did that and removed several problems. In the end, I had to go to my ISP and change my email password. Everything seems to be okay now. Thanks for the help

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds