Installed Windows 7 KB2533552 update and things went a bit haywire

Discussion in 'Software' started by lostdata, May 14, 2011.

1. lostdata

lostdata Private E-2

I have had some problems after installing some updates and wonder if anybody has a solution. A couple of days ago windows downloaded and installed a few updates automatically when I shut down the PC ( KB2529073, KB890880, KB2534366). The next day it I noticed that windows media player wouldn’t play WMV files (fine with other media files), it didn’t have this problem the previous day. I checked windows update and found KB2533552 was next to be installed (it had already downloaded), so I installed it hoping it would fix the WMV problem. All things were perfectly normal apart from the fact this seemed a faster than average install and I didn’t have to restart, I checked the media player and that was the same, no improvement. I search the internet for a solution but couldn’t find one, so I decide to scan for a Trojan with Norton, but after trying to download Norton definition updates first it reported I had no protection and I had to download 97MB to correct the problem with Norton. Norton seems fine now and a scan revealed no threats.
    After Googling for any problems with KB2533552, I discovered that some say it should be installed prior to KB253436, is this true and could this have caused the problem with Windows Media Player (V12.0.7601.17514) and the glitch with Norton Internet Security 2011? Does anybody no how to solve the problem with Media Player?
    Thanks

2. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

As as first step, you could try a restore back to the day before the updates were installed. If that fixes the problem, you could then install the updates in the recommended order. Check Media Player after each install.

3. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Hi,
    Uninstall the KB2533552 update reboot then search for windows updates again then reinstall KB2533552 , hopefully this will resolve the issue with media player.

iain.t

4. lostdata

lostdata Private E-2

Thanks for your replies GCWesq & iain.t, I haven't used a restore point yet as the description for KB2533552 said that once installed it cannot be removed, is that true or should I still give it a go?

5. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

They mean you can't uninstall it using Add/Remove programs. A restore will get you back to before the update was installed, so you can safely do that.

6. lostdata

lostdata Private E-2

I tried restore to before the 4 updates were installed and the restore failed, it reported an unspecified error and said my system settings weren’t changed. The same problem with Norton occurred again, so I live updated 95 odd megabytes again. But although it said nothing was changed, now windows update says I need to install KB2533552, KB2534366 and KB890830 again? And the problem with media player hasn’t gone away. Should I reinstall those updates?

7. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Try Disabling your norton security until the updates are done as it could be that its norton that is causing the issue.

iain.t :major

8. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

Something's amiss here. Personally I would forget about the updates for now and try to get that restore working.
    My suggestion would be as follows:
    Disable Norton, as suggested by iain.t. Disconnect from the internet, then turn the computer off, then turn it off at the wall plug. Leave it off for half a minute, then reboot into safe mode (normally by tapping the F8 key during boot). Then try the restore again - maybe to an even earlier date, just in case the problem actually started earlier.
    BTW, you shouldn't have to download that Norton stuff each time - look for where its setup file is stored and install it from there.
    I'm off to bed now - it's 1 am here. I'll look in tomorrow to see what happened. iaian.t and others may be able to help you in the meantime.
    Hope it works out.

9. lostdata

lostdata Private E-2

I’ll give it a go tomorrow as I need the machine at the moment, but I don’t hold much hope of it succeeding, perhaps it’s simply not possible to restore to an earlier time due to the nature of these critical updates. I have tried to restore before critical updates in the past and been refused on this PC and a previous XP machine. It’s a bit late to hold off on reinstalling, I’ve done that already before iain.t replied, I restarted and it automatically installed them. I won’t be able to restore to an earlier time as the last restore listed was the automatic restore point prior to the first update.

I’ve searched google for the media player problem of not being able to play wmv files, and I found that if the error “Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file” is produced followed by a brief “media changing” message in the player window, it may be caused by something called a DRM error and that the player may be corrupted itself, do you think that may be the problem? No other media seems to be affected including avi, mp3 and dvds.

BTW I do have an external hard drive and I backed up an image of the PC’s hard drive last month using software called Nero Backup 4 essentials. But when I was backing up the drive it reported that the backup was not perfect as the drive was in use while the drives sectors were recorded. Because of this and the fact I don’t know if it’s possible to restore a drive that’s in use (especially one which neo backup would execute from), I haven’t had a go at restoring yet. Any tips here would be appreciated as well.

10. lostdata

lostdata Private E-2

I decided to try today after all, I switched off Norton, turned off the PC for a few minutes, went into safe mode and made a system restore to the earliest point available (just before the updates). Unfortunately I got the same result, the restore couldn’t be fully carried out due to an error. I checked the media player and it still wouldn’t play WMV files (checked the wildlife one that comes with windows 7), and so I undid the restore. Has anybody got any suggestions as to why only WMV files refuse to work? I checked the Norton history file to find the error number of the failure that followed the problem with the video files and it was 0x000003e8

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  11. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

What error do you get when you try to play wmv files?

One thing to check is in Media Player click Organize on the left. Then Layout and select Show Menu Bar. Then Click Help along the top and then About. then in the About windows click Technical Support Information. Scroll down the browser page that opens to Video codecs. Is "WMVideo Decoder DMO" listed?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  12. west190

west190 Private E-2

I am having the same problem. Basically my sound card no longer works and itunes and wmp will no longer play music. I am using a Win7 Ultimate 64bit. I have tried to restore as well but as noted this update can't be uninstalled. Oddly my soundcard will make sound before windows loads but once it is fully loaded it has all sound muted and no media files will play. I am trying other options as well and will post if anything works. hopefully someone will have an option as Microsoft has nothing on the issue at the moment.

13. lostdata

lostdata Private E-2

Thanks for your help sach2, I was wondering where/how I could check if it had the correct codec. This is listed under video codecs: DMO WMVideo Decoder DMO WMV1, WMV2, WMV3, WMVA, WVC1, WMVP, WVP2 wmvdecod.dll 6.1.7601.1751
    This is the message shown when a WMV file is clicked “Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file.” In the media player window the message “media changing” is briefly shown. If I click for web help, I’m directed to a Microsoft page for “Windows Media Player C00D11B1 Windows Media Player can't play the file.

14. lostdata

lostdata Private E-2

I’m not having a problem with no sound as you're having west190, maybe the problem differs depending on the sound hardware. I can use YouTube, play mp3s and DVD’s and other media files, it just refuses to use WMV files.

15. sach2

It looks like you have the codec. Try re-registering this file to see if that makes any difference.

16. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

Looks like there is a common problem here - this thread has had over 1000 views since yesterday, so maybe there will be a fix out soon??

17. lostdata

lostdata Private E-2

I cut and pasted the commands into cmd which I ran as the administrator and got the following results

The unregister command produced this message "The module wmvdecod.dll was loaded but the call to DllUnregisterServer failed with error code 0x080070002"

and the register command resulted in "DllRegisterServer in wmvdecod.dll succeeded"

I still can't play WMV files, does this mean the dll is corrupted?

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  18. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

That error just means that it couldn't find the file you were trying to unregister. Try it again. It should be able to find it now. If not, that might help to track down the problem.
    Meanwhile, you might try playing this sample .wmv file from MS, just to check that it's not your .wmv file that is the problem (just re-read one of your posts and saw that you had already tried a sample file. I'll leave it here anyway):
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/MediaPlayer/wmptest/samples/new/mediaexample.wmv

Have you tried reinstalling WMP?

19. lostdata

lostdata Private E-2

I can’t see it being caused by it not finding the file, the file is definitely in the system32 directory, could it be replaced by a Trojan or am I barking up the wrong tree? When I execute “dir wmvdecod.dll” I find “20/11/2010 14:27 1,888,256 WMVDECOD.DLL”. I carried out the Regsvr32 commands again and got the same result, also the message said the module was loaded? I’ve tested more than one WMV file and they all produce the same result. As for reinstalling WMP, from what I can gather the player I’m using in WIN 7 cannot be downloaded, so I’m not sure how I’d go about reinstalling.

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  20. lostdata

lostdata Private E-2

I think I've discovered my error GCWesq. After making a directory search for wmv*.dll files, I noticed the file names were mirrored in a directory called \windows\SysWOW64. Should I first change directories to SysWOW64, is that the copy I should try to uninstall and reinstall? Thanks

21. lostdata

lostdata Private E-2

I retried "Regsvr32 /u wmvdecod.dll" in SysWOW64 as well as system32 and it produced the same results

22. sach2

I'll look around a bit more. The unregister should probably have gone through but I'm not certain that it is a problem if it didn't since the re-register did go through.

I was just testing that because it is just re-registering a file, so no harm done if it didn't make a difference. Most of the threads I see on your problem date back to a Windows Update for Vista. BTW, my Win7 had not problems with the original update you installed.

23. sach2

I see a couple of things that might be worth trying. The first would be since there is a troubleshooter, I would run that. The only option is to set it to default settings but that might be enough.

Then there is also sfc /scannow at an administrator cmd prompt; which would scan all your system files to replace anything that is not working.

And although I see some possible problems would be to use Add/Remove programs to disable Media Player and then reboot and renable Media Player. http://www.sevenforums.com/music-pictures-video/9482-re-install-media-player-12-a.html [I'm still looking for a more recent thread about losing ability to play wmv files. So I would hold off on this option since it seems a bit of overkill.]

24. lostdata

lostdata Private E-2

Thanks for looking sach2, I can't find anything similar through Google either, looks like this is fairly unique. The Media Player trouble shooter produced this result "Issues found - Configuration settings might be set incorrectly", which I guess simply means this was reset to default settings, this didn't fix the problem.
    I then used SFC which produced a good and bad result, it said the following
    *** "Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.
    Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
    Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example
    C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log" ***
    The player worked afterward but the log file is 11 megabytes long! And I'm not sure what other files are damaged, or why.
    I tried to use the Internet afterward but it froze and a message said that Symantec framework (at least that’s what I can remember) had stopped working, and that it would close it down and report back to me if a solution could be found(as far as I can remember). The Internet Security Icon disappeared and so I rebooted, all seemed back to normal but the wmv wildlife video failed to work again and produced the same message. So now I’m back to square one, could using SFC damage the files at all if Norton Internet Security is in the way?
    My Internet Security subscription is about to run out, I’m going to delete the software, buy a Norton Internet Security package and reinstall and see if that will fix it.
    I also wrote in a Microsoft Forum and I got a reply today from an engineer, can you take a look at his reply and tell me what you think? Google “Is the sequence of installation important for KB2533552 KB2529073 - Microsoft Answers”

25. sach2

I'm at a bit of a loss because I don't use WMP. So, I don't have much experience with trying to troubleshoot it. I didn't see much from that MS Answers that will really repair anything. Those 4 updates just don't look like the cause of the problem. Did you use WMP for .wmv often before the updates or did you just happen on them not playing shortly after the updates?

I'll see if Norton could of held back SCF from doing it's job. It is strange that it worked before restarting. That would imply that Norton undid some changes. (or maybe not...)

Perhaps you could updload that logfile to MediaFire and post a link? I'm not sure if I would find anything of value or not.

Maybe, someone more familiar with SFC /scannow will have some insight.

I have "Sunday dinner" tonight so I won't have much chance to look at this further till later tonight. I think I'll concentrate on seeing if there is a Norton connection to the problem.

26. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

If you are going to remove Norton (it's a Hog anyway ;)) use this tool to safely remove all of it.....

http://majorgeeks.com/Norton_Removal_Tool_SymNRT_d4749.html

I would not pay Norton for a Security service that bloats systems when there are perfect free security tools that probably work better than norton and use less system resources. I have MSE on my daughters with a back up scanner in Malwarebytes both are free......

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=e1605e70-9649-4a87-8532-33d813687a7f

If you are worried about your firewall windows own is excellent all you need to do is turn on the outbound filtering on, a run through here....

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/windows-7-firewall-outbound-protection/

or if that is too much hassle Comodo is another free Firewall that gives first class protection....

http://majorgeeks.com/Comodo_Personal_Firewall_d5033.html

I would try doing the fix that Sach2 offered after you have run the norton removal tool and with out any AV or Firewall active or installed, as i believe that it is Norton that is causing your issue.

iain.t :major

27. lostdata

lostdata Private E-2

Ok I found a way to reduce the log file and found the following, any suggestions? I’m thinking of restoring to a previous date just in case SFC did something unfortunate, is that a good idea?

Also, why does some of the entries mention AMD architecture when I my PC uses Intel?

2011-05-15 19:14:59, Info CSI 000002cf [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:28{14}]"cmiadapter.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-ServicingStack, Version = 6.1.7601.17592, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
    2011-05-15 19:15:17, Info CSI 000002e3 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:18{9}]"WPDSp.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-WPD-WmdmApplicationCompatibility, Version = 6.1.7601.17514, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
    2011-05-15 19:15:21, Info CSI 000002e5 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:18{9}]"WPDSp.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-WPD-WmdmApplicationCompatibility, Version = 6.1.7601.17514, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
    2011-05-15 19:15:25, Info CSI 000002ef [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:22{11}]"WMADMOD.DLL" of Microsoft-Windows-WMADMOD, Version = 6.1.7601.17514, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
    2011-05-15 19:15:29, Info CSI 000002f1 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:22{11}]"WMADMOD.DLL" of Microsoft-Windows-WMADMOD, Version = 6.1.7601.17514, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
    2011-05-15 19:15:57, Info CSI 00000310 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:20{10}]"srrstr.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-SystemRestore-PropertyPage, Version = 6.1.7601.17514, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
    2011-05-15 19:15:57, Info CSI 00000315 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:22{11}]"msimain.sdb" of Microsoft-Windows-Application-Experience-Mitigations-C2, Version = 6.1.7601.17571, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_IA32_ON_WIN64 (10), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
    2011-05-15 19:15:57, Info CSI 00000317 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"d3dim700.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-DirectX-Direct3D, Version = 6.1.7600.16385, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
    2011-05-15 19:15:57, Info CSI 00000319 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:38{19}]"networkexplorer.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-NetworkExplorer, Version = 6.1.7601.17514, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
    2011-05-15 19:15:57, Info CSI 0000031b [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:28{14}]"cmiadapter.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-ServicingStack, Version = 6.1.7601.17592, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
    2011-05-15 19:15:58, Info CSI 0000031d [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:18{9}]"WPDSp.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-WPD-WmdmApplicationCompatibility, Version = 6.1.7601.17514, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
    2011-05-15 19:15:58, Info CSI 0000031f [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:22{11}]"WMADMOD.DLL" of Microsoft-Windows-WMADMOD, Version = 6.1.7601.17514, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
    2011-05-15 19:15:58, Info CSI 00000321 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"d3dim700.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-DirectX-Direct3D, Version = 6.1.7600.16385, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
    2011-05-15 19:15:58, Info CSI 00000327 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:20{10}]"srrstr.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-SystemRestore-PropertyPage, Version = 6.1.7601.17514, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
    2011-05-15 19:15:58, Info CSI 0000032d [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:18{9}]"WPDSp.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-WPD-WmdmApplicationCompatibility, Version = 6.1.7601.17514, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
    2011-05-15 19:15:58, Info CSI 00000333 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:22{11}]"msimain.sdb" of Microsoft-Windows-Application-Experience-Mitigations-C2, Version = 6.1.7601.17571, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_IA32_ON_WIN64 (10), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
    2011-05-15 19:15:58, Info CSI 00000339 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:38{19}]"networkexplorer.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-NetworkExplorer, Version = 6.1.7601.17514, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
    2011-05-15 19:15:58, Info CSI 0000033f [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:28{14}]"cmiadapter.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-ServicingStack, Version = 6.1.7601.17592, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
    2011-05-15 19:15:58, Info CSI 00000342 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:22{11}]"WMADMOD.DLL" of Microsoft-Windows-WMADMOD, Version = 6.1.7601.17514, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch

28. sach2

Hi,

I'm beginning to look into things again. I tried regsrv32 on my Win7 and got the same error when using the /u switch. So that is not a problem.
    My sfc /scannow showed no errors but it was a minimal installation (brand new--for imaging purposes).

A question on how you reduced your log--did you use the following command) or similar) to print just the [SR] errors or a different method? I'm curious if the log you posted is just random errors or if it is all the [SR] errors?

29. lostdata

lostdata Private E-2

30. sach2

To answer your question, I don't think there is any reason to restore to before doing sfc /scannow. It only checks system files against a backup version to see if they match. If they don't match it replaces the existing one with the backup.

I may be a bit out of my league on this one. You have 7 files (cmiadapter.dll, WPDSp.dll, WMADMOD.DLL, srrstr.dll, msimain.sdb, d3dim700.dll, networkexplorer.dll) listed there as not repaired. Only one of which is the WMV decoder. That would seem to be the important file or a strange coincidence. What I can't understand is how you were able to play a wmv file if it was not repaired. I'm wondering if doing a limited version of SFC might be worth a try to see if you can duplicate being able to play a wmv before restarting?

Try this command to check if the file is still "bad".

sfc /verifyfile=c:\windows\system32\wmadmod.dll

Then you might try sfc /scanfile=c:\windows\system32\wmadmod.dll to see if you still get the cannot repair error. Even if you get the error, try to play a wmv to see if any change.

The only other thing I can think to try is doing the above from a "clean boot" following the MS instructions in Step 1 here to try to rule out Norton as interfering.

*Is your copy of wmadmod.dll 902,656 bytes according to Properties of that file?

31. tractorjack

tractorjack Private E-2

Not sure if it's kosher to jump in like this, but I have suddenly developed problems with my Win 7 after installing software- maybe similiar issues?
    At present, I can not use Skype, any torrent downloaders, play video on youtube, etc, and the flash player crashes in all browser windows (FF, IE) every time. VLC will play video, but no sound, and when I try to access controls, the program crashes, but won't quit the systray, like Skype. Itunes will load up, but not play anything, and then freezes, and has to be forced to quit. I've done a clean boot, and still nothing was working. I tried to restore twice, but both failed, at which point my save points were deleted as new action had taken place. I checked my device manager. and all hardware is functioning fine. I am currently updating all drivers, but I'm fairly certain it's superfluous. I have disabled my firewall and AVG, run spybot, and scanned for virus. All clean. (I've always kept a clean drive).
    I am soooo close to fragging the drive and reinstalling Windows. Please help save my sanity.
    Things went to pot after installing KB2533552, and 2534366...
    Let me know if you need more info.

Thanks!

32. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

tractorjack, welcome to MajorGeeks. :wave
    Here, the Major prefers that everyone has his/her own trouble shooting thread. So, start here http://forums.majorgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21
    click the New Thread button near the top left and paste your post in its own thread. Someone will jump in to help.

33. tractorjack

tractorjack Private E-2

Thanks plodr, and appreciate the welcome. Thread posted under its own power.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds