IExplorer, Modem, Provider or Virus? Lose Service Constantly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NCAngel, Oct 19, 2005.

1. NCAngel

NCAngel Private E-2

Dear Major Geeks,

I’m continually getting the “Cannot find server” “The page cannot be displayed” message on my Internet Explorer. I’m on the slowest speed DSL line from BellSouth. This has been an issue for a few months, although it recently escalated. I’ve been able to use shortcut fixes to sustain connection for 10-20 mins at a time.

Short version:
    * Is it my modem? Or Bellsouth.net? (my initial assumption, I figured I’d deal with it when I moved and moved/changed service)
    * Is it a virus? (a RoadRunner friend has the same problem, and I’ve been battling it as such all day)
    * Is it an Internet Explorer issue? (and is it fixable without the WindowsXP disk?)

Long version:
    In the beginning, I called BellSouth tech support, ran through the whole reconfig isp section, shut down, restarted, ended up on the homepage and re-signed in. I would be fine for about a week or so, then the note on the bottom left-hand side would try to dial 10.1.1.1 or some strange number beginning in the 600’s (my isp address is actually 192.168.1.97; subnet mask 255.255.255.0; default gateway 192.168.1.254).

I made several really annoying calls to BellSouth.net (the severe handholding type that assumes you don’t know how to find the Start button without help, even though I’m pretty computer literate for a casual user not in the IT business … yet.) Resetting the modem, using the ipconfig option, and running the ip address would get my explorer to work for a while.

I did put Firefox on the computer (after a couple months of nagging by my IT co-worker who recently moved), but I’ve never been able to get it to start up (other then when I first installed it). Shortly after the problem started, I tried to update my MSN Messenger, but Messenger was confused by my update and refused to work. (Messenger shows up later)

For the last two weeks, whether I called Bellsouth, or just started my own makeshift technique of unplugging the modem, shutting off the computer, restarting, plugging back in the modem, I’m able to get on-line with Explorer for up to 10-12 webpages as long as I get to them within a 10-22 min time period. Then I’m back to “Cannot Find Server”.

I’ve been running Ad-Aware & SpyBot on a regular basis (I have 3 young kids who share the computer – separate user – downloading/installation blocked… but I’m not counting on that actually working). I knew I was moving, and figured the modem was dying and I would just ask for a new one (it’s an external Westell from BellSouth) once I moved, or switch to RoadRunner. I have decided to switch to RoadRunner after making cost comparisons. So at first I wasn’t really thinking of any virus based issues.

8 days ago I followed up on a comment made in my Computer Programming & Repair class 1 to log into Safe Mode and see what Applications/Processes start, and then logged into my account to get rid of anything from the Start menu that didn’t appear under Safe Mode. Since then, my Messenger has been working again.

I didn’t consider the virus option until Monday Night when a friend in one of my child development classes commented on having the same issue I was … on RoadRunner.

I went through all the “Read This Before Posting Hijack Logs” and “Hijack This Guides” today. There were a few viruses (which I probably should have made notes about), but was able to address them fairly easily. I had Hijack This fix anything that looked like it didn’t belong. I verified that anything in my log had a known purpose.

During the process I was shocked to find myself able to maintain a connection long enough for the Bitdefender and TrendMicro free scans, so I figured I’d knocked out the culprit in the first round, but went ahead and continued all the steps just to be on the safe side.

Confident in my victory, I went back on Explorer, checked a couple e-mails, and within 15 mins was back to the Cannot Find Server limbo. Disconnect, shut off, reconnect, turn on, start searching MajorGeeks again re: Explorer… Two cycles later I’m a registered user, and typing a highly detailed note hoping it will get some results.

Other potentially relevant information. I’ve got an eMachine (please don’t lose faith in me for this one – it was a gift for my kids since I had a laptop [which sadly died due to power control issues,… just after the warrantee ran out] and I’m a poor college student who couldn’t get anything better… yet).

I’m using Windows XP. I do not have the disks for it (did I mention I have 3 young kids who are obsessed with computers?) so Microsoft direct fixes are not possible.

I have WAY too much music on my computer. I’ve started shifting music from the computer to an mp3 player, but it has been a tedious process. While checking out the freespace shown on my C: at one point it got down to 256m (which is why I started moving my music). Then occasionally, even without making any real major changes to the computer, the freespace would vary drastically from 256 MB to 1.2 GB and back down again (another reason I continually ran my ad-aware and spybot utilities, while paying attention to my computer class). After playing around ALL DAY trying to settle this Explorer issue, I’m up to 2.93 GB.

So where does that leave me? Is it the modem or BellSouth as I initially thought? Is it a virus, which would explain my RoadRunner friend having it? Is it a problem with Explorer, and if so can I fix it without a disk? And why haven’t I been able to get Firefox to pick up the slack? (It did come on once, when one of the nicer BellSouth people walked me through the process, but has been useless ever since).

I’m a major eBay / Amazon junkie and want to get some shopping done before Halloween, so any ideas are greatly appreciated.

NCAngel

2. bubbles

bubbles Private E-2

When it goes down do the following:

1) Start -- run -- type cmd and press OK
    2) Type "ping google.com" without the quotes. Let us know what this does.
    3) Type "ping 4.2.2.2" without the quotes. Let us know what this does.

By what you've written, I think it's either your Windows that's giving you troubles, your network card, or your modem.

Do you have a router in place? If not, your modem is a modem/router. You may want to call whomever provided you with your modem and ask them to assist you to put it into bridge mode. Right now it would be in bridge/router mode.

Also, just because you and your friend are using RoadRunner, doesn't mean that it is necessarily a virus. Your ISP has no bearing on what viruses you get. Viruses propagate through the internet. They just pass through the telco/cable company/ISP's equipment.

3. NCAngel

NCAngel Private E-2

Dear Bubbles,

I appreciate any help you can give me, especially since I'm a very enthusiastic learner. Here are my ping results (in both pre- and post-loss mode, just in case there was a difference).

Pre-Loss

Pinging Googgle.com [216.239.37.99] with 32 bytes of data

Reply from 216.239.37.99: bytes=32 time=56ms TTL=244
    Reply from 216.239.37.99: bytes=32 time=58ms TTL=244
    Reply from 216.239.37.99: bytes=32 time=58ms TTL=244
    Reply from 216.239.37.99: bytes=32 time=55ms TTL=244

Ping statistics for 216.239.37.99:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss)
    Approximate round trip time in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 55ms, maximum=58ms, average=56ms

Pinging 4.2.2.2 with 32 bytes of data

Reply from 4.2.2.2: bytes=32 time=52ms TTL=248
    Reply from 4.2.2.2: bytes=32 time=53ms TTL=248
    Reply from 4.2.2.2: bytes=32 time=53ms TTL=248
    Reply from 4.2.2.2: bytes=32 time=52ms TTL=248

Ping statistics for 4.2.2.2:
    Minimum = 52ms, maximum = 53ms, average = 52ms

Post-Loss (just in case there’s a difference)

Pinging Googgle.com [216.239.57.99] with 32 bytes of data

Reply from 216.239.57.99: bytes=32 time=113ms TTL=243
    Reply from 216.239.57.99: bytes=32 time=113ms TTL=243
    Reply from 216.239.57.99: bytes=32 time=110ms TTL=243
    Reply from 216.239.57.99: bytes=32 time=110ms TTL=243

Ping statistics for 216.239.37.99:
    Minimum = 110ms, maximum=113ms, average=111ms

Pinging 4.2.2.2 with 32 bytes of data

Reply from 4.2.2.2: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=248
    Reply from 4.2.2.2: bytes=32 time=30ms TTL=248
    Reply from 4.2.2.2: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=248
    Reply from 4.2.2.2: bytes=32 time=33ms TTL=248

Ping statistics for 4.2.2.2:
    Minimum = 30ms, maximum = 33ms, average = 31ms

4. NCAngel

NCAngel Private E-2

FREE AT LAST!!!

Just in case anyone was wondering, after multiple runnings of anti-virus and spyware programs, and deleting anything that looked weird on Hijack this, I finally realised that what my Mozilla & Explorer had in common was my Google toolbar.

I deleted the Google toolbar, and the Yahoo toolbar (which I never actually installed). Now I'm finally able to stay on line. Hope this helps someone with similar problems.

NCAngel

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds