Acer laptop Problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by chris-red, Jun 4, 2008.

1. chris-red

chris-red Private E-2

My parents have an Acer 5600 laptop, they had a problem with the keyboard and track pad not working. I said I would fix it so first off I booted it into safe mode and the keyboard and mouse worked fine, I assumed virus so ran the usual suspects (Norton, spybot, adaware) and booted it up again, I noticed that the keyboard works whilst booting and sometimes the mouse would work for a split second when the log in screen comes up. This then led me to believe that the drivers had a problem so decided to instal Vista (previously XP) I assumed that would sort it. I formatted the HDD and installed vista but I have the same problem when vista boots for the first time and you have to set up user ID's the keyboard is non responsive. I have tryed using USB keyboard and mouse which doesn't work either. When the keyboard isn't working the power button doesn't work either. I can't work out what the problem is any ideas?

2. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

Maybe a hardware failure. Or a wrong setting in bios. New mobos have 2 settings in bios for keyb & mouse. They can be set to either BIOS/OS. BIOS means using built-in driver for the device; OS means using the OS's driver. Try toggling this if it exists. Also, there may be USB keyboard/mouse settings. Enable them if you're using USB ones.

3. chris-red

chris-red Private E-2

I looked at the BIOS and it was very basic, without many options at all I'll have a look though, cheers for the reply.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds