Windows 7 64bit and unsigned drivers

Discussion in 'Software' started by LeoBloom., Dec 20, 2010.

1. LeoBloom.

LeoBloom. Private E-2

Hi,

I needed to install rivatuner on my machine in order to regulate the graphics card's fan speed, but Windows 7 64bit Pro wouldn't let me install it, claiming the driver was unsigned.

I had followed some directions online:

"These two commands alone worked great for me on Win7-64:
    bcdedit -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
    bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON"

and I was allowed to install the driver but now I have "Test Mode Windows 7 Build 7600" imprinted on the bottom right of my monitor.

Can I get rid of this imprint and still keep the rivatuner driver?

Thank you

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Geez man, unsigned driver issue was mostly a Vista thing as with W7 it is non-existent issue AFAIK.

I'm quite impressed that you even tried BCDedit. ;) Most folks hate that!:-D

Try eVGA's Precision instead,

3. LeoBloom.

LeoBloom. Private E-2

Ye, well, truth be told I have no idea what bcdedit is or exactly what I did, so it's not as impressive as you think :). Can I revert things to the way they were and will the installed driver still work?

4. augiedoggie

Hrrmmm, have you activated W7 yet? I've seen that message before with W7 betas. I'm dancing around the real issue I believe.

5. LeoBloom.

LeoBloom. Private E-2

Well, I have activated it, but I figure I will try augiedoggie's advice and use the Precision software. It seems to have a much nicer interface and I just never realized I could use a EVGA piece of software on other brand's Nvidia graphics cards.

I am using the MSDN's version of windows 7, perhaps that's important?

Also, although not related to the original question, can you guys tell me what's the best way to get a taskbar on my second monitor with Windows 7?

Thanks

6. augiedoggie

Precision is based on Rivatuner, just a lot cuter though.;) You can also try AfterBurner from MSI, similar yet different, and will work on most GPU cards.

7. LeoBloom.

LeoBloom. Private E-2

I think precision was what I needed, thanks a bunch augie!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds