Computer freezes, but mouse still works

Discussion in 'Software' started by kannis, Jan 15, 2013.

1. kannis

kannis Private E-2

Hello eveyone,

So I recently upgraded my ASUS f50s laptop to windows 8, completely removing all old files since my computer was running slow, and the upgrade was free (through my university).

I have had this upgrade for under a week, and I've had a problem with the computer freezing. The mouse still works, and I am able to toggle caps lock (the light turns on and off) which I think means the computer itself isn't dead during these freezes, just being over-driven.

I checked and have no malware or spyware, and also updated the video drivers. I also have had the task manager open when it froze, and sometimes it will say that the cpu is at 100%, but none of the processes open will be anywhere near that (in fact sometimes they all read as 0!).

Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

Have you checked your video card.

3. kannis

kannis Private E-2

Hey Nick,

Yeah the video card appears to be working fine, and as I said the drivers are up to date. The freeze up lasts anywhere from 20 seconds to 5 minutes and happens seemingly randomly. I can switch to different tabs on the internet but cannot scroll at first, but after some time I cannot switch anymore. I can also open up the task manager (ctrl, shift, escape) the first time, but if I try to open it again, the mouse can move but is stuck in the "loading" look.

Another weird thing I noticed is that if I am using oovoo (a video chatting program like skype) I have never had the problem with this freezing, even after talking for hours at a time. When not using oovoo, it usually freezes at least once every 30 minutes, sometimes only minutes apart from each other.

4. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

If you would like to verify the CPU numbers you are seeing in Task Manager, Process Explorer is a MS program that can give you a similar look at CPU usage for each process with a little more detail.

Sounds like you could have a failing memory stick. MemTest might be a good thing to download and run...

If you're really up for adventure, you could remove all the memory and place one stick in a socket and boot. Repeat for each stick and each socket to make sure both the sticks and the sockets are good...

5. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

I would all so go and restart system and press F8 and go into safe mode.

Then Start/Run...type chkdsk

You might have errors on the Hard Drive.

6. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

Hi my friend , as guys told you before either Ram or hdd is the problem , you can download this

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Hard_Disk_Sentinel_d7520.html

inspecting your performance/health , even you can download this cd

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

burning it with

http://www.majorgeeks.com/ImgBurn_d4870.html

there is many tool which helps you to test your memory with memtest86 ( you must run this for 5 hours ) even you have to find the manufacturer of hdd testing your hdd

go to Start
    Right click to My Computer
    Properties
    Hardware tab
    Device Manager
    Disk Drivers

there is a code of your hdd like this

HDS722516VLSA80

for instance running the tool of the manufacturer :wave

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds