Finding some RAM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HarleyK, Nov 6, 2005.

1. HarleyK

HarleyK Private E-2

Hello,
    basically I want to get some RAM, but I'm not actually 100% sure which type (all round) to get. I've a rough idea but don't want to buy something that doesn't work, obviously...so I'm hoping one of you lot could help me out.... :)

I've got 512 ddr running currently and want to whack it up another 1gb. I want the RAM to be one "cartridge" as opposed to two 512's, that I've seen.

As for my motherboard details:

here

I know this seems very lazy and it is, but I've bought some things before and they haven't worked...so I don't want to mess this up as well.

Anymore info needed, just let me know.

I'd preferably prefer the product to be from Dabs or Ebuyer, as I have accounts there, but I can't be picky.

Cheers once again.

2. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

3. HarleyK

HarleyK Private E-2

Cheers for the link Bazza.

I used that Everest thing, but I'm not exactly sure if it gave the right results.

What section should I be looking under for RAM? I assumed it would be 'Memory' but that doesn't seem to be giving the 'expected' results.

Thanks once again.

4. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Fire up Everest,
    then click on Computer and open it up,
    then click on Overclock.
    Scroll down a bit until you come to SPD memory modules
    and it will detail makes. models and capacities of RAM installed. :cool:
    Also it tells you how many sticks are installed, and maybe if you have room for more.
    Not bleedingly obvious, I know, to find this. :D

Hope it helps. :) Bazza

5. HarleyK

HarleyK Private E-2

Cheers for your help, baz.

It did indeed help, but there are no details about capacity at all.

I knew I had used 2 of 4 slots on the MB already, but it was the capacity that was bugging me.

I had found a RAM slot I thought was suitable, but it said something about a 2.5V...and I totally lost it there, will this require a further power input to the Ram or is this just a measurement to say:

"This is what your motherboard needs to be able to handle"

sorta thing? Also, would this be the module voltage?

(I'm sure the wording of this could have been better :) )

6. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

"2 of 4 slots on the MB already"

??? The link that you had in your first post shows that the motherboard only has 3 slots... Not 4. And as for the 1 stick that should be fine since each slot supports 1Gb of RAM. You will want a 1Gb stick of DDR 400 RAM. Personally, I always recommend www.newegg.com since they always have competitive prices and great service.

If it's not a gaming/overclocked computer:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227221

If it is:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145560
    or:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227054

7. HarleyK

HarleyK Private E-2

Meant to say 3, just a typo there. :)

Thanks for your help.

8. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

I'll put my 5 penneth in.. I have just ordered an upgrade from 512mb to 1 Gig and used www.corsair.com punched in all relevant information when asked.. it suggested correct corsair upgrade then directed me to cheapest UK seller, now thats what I call service ..

9. HarleyK

HarleyK Private E-2

Cheers for your help. I didnt have much time to respond yesterday because I was quite busy (surprisingly)

Just to add to your post, I use my computer for gaming but I haven't overclocked it.

The type of gaming I use it for isn't anything complicated or demanding (in terms of graphics) but my computer does run for long spells in the day and was wondering which RAM I should opt for, given those circumstances.

Obviously the non-overclocked RAM is cheaper, but if the RAM (for overclocking) is more worth my while then I'd be willing to stump up a bit more cash to get it. Which would be more suitable?

10. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

Nah, if you don't overclock at all, I would just go with the value RAM. You wouldn't notice much of a difference.

11. HarleyK

HarleyK Private E-2

Thanks very much for your help. And to anyone else who replied in the thread. :)

Seems I'll go for one or two of them sticks, have to make room for one, but that won't be an issue.

Cheers once again.

12. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Hi again .. its the old cliche' how deep is ones pocket. I have been reading for months now and have been undecided wether to buy the 'Value' or not but another old cliche' is 'patience' as eventually i was able to find a middle of the road type of ram, not a cheapy and not expensive, but as Wyatt says if you are not a heavy gamer go for the Value and put the savings to some other project.. Good luck with your choice...

13. HarleyK

HarleyK Private E-2

Hey Toke.

I think I'll go with the value RAM for now, as I said my gaming isn't really demanding or intense like some games out there. It's usually just a simulator like Football Manager 200x - Worldwide Soccer Manager its referred to in the States.

As for another project, I've been considering getting a dual cpu motherboard, getting another processor and running that. I'd imagine, I'd have no problem running this current RAM with any new motherboard, given that my choice of motherboard is correct.

Nothing solid at all, but a dual CPU is something that interests me. Obviously the huge gap in my pocket after any purchase halts things, but as I said, definitely something I want to do in the near future.

I'll probably need to get people on here to pick me out a motherboard, as my knowledge is too limited to go out and get the MB, myself. Although I'm picking stuff up as I go along, as ya do.

14. HarleyK

HarleyK Private E-2

15. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

Yes, that RAM will work fine.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds