Memory Usage/Performance of XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by Cytrox, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Cytrox

Cytrox Private E-2

Hi there

So far I've always re-installed Windows XP every Year in order to keep it clean and fast - but I'm kind of geting tired and was wondering if you maybe knew some other way without having to re-install it...

My System:
    AMD 64 3700+
    1 GB DDR (400 MHz) RAM

The Problems:
    I'm sure You're quite familiar with the problems that occur when Windows has been installed for a while...

- When I want to shut down the system it takes a while (until the shut-down menu opens, and after I've pressed the red button, it takes ages to log off) - to boot up however is quite fast

- The Task Manager usually shows about 700 MB of memory usage, so whenever I do anything (except for browsing) the systems starts to swaping memory

So basically the system is just "slow"...

What I Have Intalled (That keeps running in the Background):
    Kerio
    AVG Antivirus
    HP Printer Software
    ATI Catalyst Management Thingy
    Daemon Tools
    Peer Guardian
    Logitech Setpoint
    Subversion + TortoiseSVN
    EPG Service for my TV Card
    Various VS.NET Services (I've no idea what exactly)
    NetLimiter
    ICQ 5 Oficial Client

I also quite often have Azureus downloading something in the background and Opera (my default Browser) is also always running...

I doubt that There is/are any spyware or viruses on my system (I'm behind a router with NAT, have SP2 and windows updates Turned on) - AdAware and other Spyware tools only show various "dangerous" cookies when scanning the system...

Is there anything I can do to get the system back to normal without re-installing it?

2. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds