IE security problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by geek_love, Apr 5, 2008.

1. geek_love

geek_love Private E-2

I've been running Windows Vista 32-bit without any significant issues since last September, but I've recently encountered two IE security issues.

1. Last week I updated to the latest Adobe Flash Player. The next time I started Internet Explorer 7, I got the IE Security pop-up "A website wants to open web content using this program on your computer... This program will open outside of Protected Mode..." -- and the program was Adobe Flash Player. It popped up over and over again, whether I clicked Allow or Don't Allow. I had to disable the Shockwave add-on just to be able to use IE.
    I did some research and found that this is a problem in Vista, and you just need to make sure you have the latest cumulative security update from Microsoft. Well, I've had that update since it came out in February. I read that there was a hotfix for this problem, but that turned out to be part of the cumulative update. I even tried downloading the update again, but when I tried to install it, I got a message that the update "does not apply to your system," which I assume was because I already had the update installed.
    The only other solution I found was to clear the ieuser.exe, either by rebooting or by doing it manually via task manager and waiting several minutes for it to fully clear. Restarting didn't work. Manual clearing didn't work the first time, but I tried it again, waiting about 45 minutes, and the problem seemed to be corrected.
    It started happening again today, however, and this time clearing ieuser.exe isn't working.

2. Also today, when trying to listen to some song samples at BMG Music Service and from a record label--both places I've often used--via my Windows Media Player, I got the same IE security pop-up, this time for Media Player. It pops up each time I try to listen to a sample.

I installed Vista SP1 yesterday, which, given the timing, I figure to be a strongly possible cause for the recurrence of the first problem and the occurrence of the second. I've surfed and surfed and haven't found any helpful advice.

Does anyone know how I can fix these issues?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds