Black Friday, or the day after?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Mimsy, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Here's a question for you all. :)

I'm finally going to buy that new laptop I have been wanting for so long, and am right now researching my option. I'm leaning towards a Lenovo, ThinkPad or IdeaPad, and the plan is to buy direct from them.

Would I get a better price on Black Friday or on Cyber Tuesday (Monday?) following that weekend? Obviously, the higher the discount, the more I can trick it out and beef it up. The plan is to out-do Laura's laptop! :p I will play games on it, and it will be glorious. :)

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Cat fight already?:-D Hiss, hisss! :p:)

3. Mimsy

LOL I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I actually want some input on my question. When are the best deals going to be available?

4. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

No way you can outdo Uma!:p

Alright....you want my personal (professional [yes, I was in retail for years]) opinion? In some things, black Friday is the best price. For most things, wait until you get closer to Christmas. Or better yet, after Christmas. Retailers are always optimistic, but when it comes down to it, they panic and there's too much competition.

If you want it now, I think you can find the deals on both those days. Find out what you want, and what you'll pay. If it's there on Black Friday, get it. If it's not, wait 'til Tuesday.

I prefer the find what you want and wait until the price comes to you (or just pay for it) method as apposed to finding the sale and settling for what's there.

5. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

@Mimsy, sorry about that.:-o

I would agree Laura, I want an i7 too and I'm keeping track of prices, keeping track of retail news etc. as it's too expensive as it is at today's prices. We don't have Black Friday here but I'll watch what's reported, I'll most likely wait until January.

6. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

I've found my best deals on electronics shortly after Christmas, for the most part.

7. Paxton007

Paxton007 MajorGeek

Maybe Black Friday is Exempt, but don't most stores do price matching, even with themselves? Usually you can go get something, and if the price is lower within 30 days, they'll give you the difference if you take in your receipt.

Technically, that means you could go in tonight and get whatever you wanted & have them price match you on Black Friday, or Tuesday.

I know when I bought my washer & dryer they said they'd do that if I watched prices for 30 days. :cool

8. Mimsy

I know a lot of stores do, but I plan to buy mine directly from Lenovo. I'll definitely ask about it though.Thanks for mentioning it. :)

9. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

Actually the better prices are at back to school and in the spring time.

Mimsy, since you are dedicated to a "Stinkpad" as they are called by some**.... :-D err, that is, since you had narrowed your choice to a certain brand- You may find the selection of laptops to be something less than you want. I am seeing Acer and HP listed already for sale.

There are many sites for Black Friday- I use this one.

NewEgg sells Lenovo

** I do not despair the use of a Lenovo Thinkpad, only know others have not so high esteem for them.

10. Mimsy

After three years in Tech Support for a RAM vendor, that is the only brand that no one ever has compatibility problems, installation problems, configuration problems, BIOS update problems, or even badmouths, when they call in. Lenovo is the only brand that I never hear my customers say anything negative about. That has me intrigued.

Oh, nice websites!! I still think I'll get it direct though, so I can customize it more. :)

11. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

That alone would cause me to think about getting one as well. I trust you find your ships soon!
    ;)

12. Mimsy

I've found them, actually. But the Cintomani stone wasn't there. :(

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds